Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:15 PM   #1

***Nevermind, it's on its way back to Amazon**

I got a good deal on an open box from Amazon but I can't decide if it's a good copy or not. I did a search and the serial number did not come back as a known bad copy. Anyway, I could use some advice from anyone that could take a look at my test images in my Picasa album. This is the only way I could make full sized images available. I used aperture priority at ISO 100 with the focus point about mid point through the stadium and took successive shots at each aperture point. It is really soft wide open and shows noticeable vignetting and PF, but I don't think it's "decentered". No additional PP or sharpening and I did not have a tripod available.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sendmean.../Test20080923#
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2

They all looked good to me but not spectacular. In the end, do the photos taken with it bring a smile to your face? If they do then it is a keeper. If not then you may still grow to like it when used in some situations. After all, the opinion that matters most is your own.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3

Thanks for taking a look. I just was not happy with the lens and have made the decision to send it back. I've been using it for several days and have not had one picture where I've said "man that lens is sharp". I'll take the money and invest in a better telephoto for eagle season here in St. Louis.

So ends my first experience with a DA*
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4

The one thing I noticed is that at f2.8 it looks like the right side might be a bit softer than the left side - which would concern me. I'd be interested to see if others think that way, too. It's partly hard to judge as there is so much differences in distance between sides, and a lot going on in the picture.

P.S. Just read that you are returning the lens. I'd do the same thing - I think your copy isn't a good one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:13 AM   #5

Thanks again for looking. Those were big files and take a lot of time to review so your time and opinion is appreciated. If nothing else this made me appreciate my kit lens.

Now, I just need to sell a kidney so I can get a bigma.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6

jerkules wrote:
Quote:
Now, I just need to sell a kidney so I can get a bigma.
Think WIFE'S CAR. She won't know it's gone!!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:06 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My 2 cents...I have the DA*16-50 which I use with a K20D and am very happy with its performance: Nice sharp images, great color rendition, quiet and fast SDM focusing. I also likethe f/2.8constantwhich enables great available light shooting! My only complaint is that it is a heavy lens compared to the kit!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:06 PM   #8

hello everyone.

I've been considering getting the 16-50 myself, and I'm naturally concerned with all the issues reported all over about it. I think I'd get a decent idea about how serious it is if one of you good souls would tell me this: the samples seen in dcresource's gallery seem to suffer consistently from corner softness/ca, even stopped down (see photo 3, top right/bottom middle - that's f/7.1). it looks similar or worse than any kit lens. he had it replaced and got the same results (that's the reshot gallery there). would you guys consider those samples to come from a good copy?

here's the link http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pe.../gallery.shtml

(I do realise it could be considered impolite to link to another web site, but considering there are no 16-50 samples at steve's gallery, I hope I'll be excused)
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote