Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:43 AM   #1

I got the lens in yesterday afternoon just as I was leaving for a football game where I was the PA announcer...thus the first real use wasn't in my hands, but in those of a student assistant. She had some problems getting it properly adjusted, so I will hold off judgement on in as a sports lens till I've used it myself next Friday night in a stadium that I know has truly horrible lighting.

So, this morning is the first time I've had a chance to play with it, and I only had a few minutes before we head out to Oklahoma for a college game.

First impressions....the HSM is silent and fast--very comparable to the DA*50-135--maybe just a little faster. Focusing appears to be crisp, although I want to do far more testing. I was really impressed with the lens' s performance on the shot below. I certainly didn't buy it as a birding lens, but I wasn't going to ignore the red-bellied woodpecker who landed in a tree 30 or so yards from me. This is a 100% crop with no post-processing except the crop. The shot was taken in bright sunshine...f8 @ 1/500...ISO 400...200mm zoom.

On the way back from Oklahoma tomorrow we're going to detour through the Boston Mountains of NW Arkansas and hope for some early Fall color. By the time I get back, I should have a better idea of how it performs.

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2008, 1:09 PM   #2

Make sure you check for BF/FF. I can't tell how much of this image was cropped, but I think I've had better results from my Tamron 70-300, though not at 2.8 obviously :-P

kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 4:34 PM   #3

paul
i think i have to agree but........
how big of a crop???(or small)
it also seems that the color balance is too high yielding to much yellow.

roy
sorry, but i had not checked the EXIF..
not like it's ever happened to me but could it be that you shot with a custom WB and forgot to change it???
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 4:39 PM   #4

meant to say also that i shot about 80pix at a picnic and when i got home EVERYONE of them needed PP
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 6:41 PM   #5

This image was a SEVERE crop....and is an actual pixel size image....541 X 481 (100% crop)...from an original image of 14.6 megapixels....tiny part. I was actually surprised it was as good as it was considering how heavy the crop was.

As far as the white balance, Roy, I don't remember changing it back later in the morning, although the EXIF does show a Manual balance setting. I do know that it was shot in an EXTREMELY harsh sun. I would normally have done a small correction but was deliberately not corrected because I wanted to post without any post-processing at all.

I'll have some more appropriate shots from the lens to post later in the evening.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:58 AM   #6

Default DATE CODE for Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 DG II HSM

does this lens have a date code, similar to the Canon version?
if so, how does one locate it?
At this time I only have a serial # on the Warranty card.

Many thanks

Anne

[email protected]
annig is offline   Reply With Quote