Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1

Today I went through the mountains of Northwest Arkansas with my new lens and put it to the test in a variety of situations. I've included a variety of shots at both ends of the range. First astream in the Boston Mountains at 70mm

Nearby, a mum shot at 200mm

Overall, the fall foliage was just beginning to change colors, but this red maple is ahead of he curve (70mm)

Nothing like enjoying a sunny Sunday in a canoe on a mountain lake (200mm)

Further south, just south of the Arkansas River, sits Mount Magazine, one of the highest mountains between the Allegheneys and the Rockies. The mountain is noted for the wide variety of butterflies found there. The shots of the butterfly and the bee are both shot at 200mm and heavily cropped (100%) because they were shot from a balcony into a restricted wildlife area.

Finally, a different butterfly at a location where I could get a little bit closer....thusnot quite so extreme a crop.

All in all, I was very pleased with what I got today. It's not a full test by any means. I will make a low-light test Friday night when I use the lens myself for the first timeshooting football. I got distracted today because of a problem with my K20 that developed during the day. The rear e-wheel dial stopped responding and I couldn't shoot in any mode that required manual f-stop adjustment. (After getting home, I isolated the problem to the rear e-dial on the battery grip, rather than the camera--that's a good thing. To add to my distraction, the shutter began sticking on the K10 my wife was using. I'm hoping that problem is dirty contacts.)

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:02 AM   #2

These look very nice - I like the butterflies. It looks like this might be a useful lens, it seems to do quite well on the macro side of things. I'll really be interested in your shots at the game. Hope your wife's camera problem was as simple as dirty contacts.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:27 PM   #3

Really great photos Paul! Got my camera back from Pentax today. Not had a chance to try it yet. Hope all your problems are easy ones.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:33 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Paul, a bit off topic, but re. the rear e-dial getting stuck on the K20D...I had the same symptoms and at first had me alarmed and then angry. But similar to you, I isolated it to the e-dial on the grip which I think was in an "in=between" position which locked out the rear e-dial on the main body. I spun the rear e-dial a bit on the grip and that allowed the rear e-dial on the body to work fine. This occurred in July...haven't had an issue yet! I am glad (in a strange sort of way) that I wasn't the only one to run into this issue. In any event, at the time, all I could think of was having to send the camera back to Pentax for warranty repair. Was so relieved that it was a quirky issue with the grip instead!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 3:14 AM   #5

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
The shots of the butterfly and the bee are both shot at 200mm and heavily cropped (100%) because they were shot from a balcony into a restricted wildlife area...

All in all, I was very pleased with what I got today...
Thanks for sharing these eye pleasing images, PaulHaving observedthem I should say you have good reason to be pleased with the lens, which tempted me tohave it in addition to my 17-70 : )

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote