Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:16 AM   #21

Thank you! :-)
On a bright, sunny day I bet it would look that way, or close to that. But yesterday it was all grey and flat, that's why I did some post-processing.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It looks like a fun lens, quite sharp in these. I really like your rusty metal, you did a good job with it however you processed it- it looks nice, not over-the-top at all.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:42 PM   #22

Very nice Thkn, you are going to have lots of fun with that lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:26 AM   #23

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hello there,
both lenses come for nearly the same price, the Sigma has "A" setting, the Viv is fully manual. The Viv has a serial number starting with 28, so it's made by Komine, not Kiron.

I haven't heard much about the Sigma macros, the Kiron made Vivitar ones have a high reputation.

I am not really sure which one to choose, I tend towards the Sigma mainly because of the "A" setting and because it's a bit lighter than the Viv. I could go to 100mm using my Viv 2x macro converter.

On the other hand for insects 90mm or 180mm(with converter) would come in handy.

Please post your experiences and opinions, thanks in advance.
For strict macro, the longer FL lens wins hands down. I was about 10" from the cat's eyes. If I use 50mm that would have been insanely close at around 5 inches.

My suggestion is not to dis the Sigma macro which may be a very good non-macro lens though. Both have good reputation.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:03 PM   #24

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
My suggestion is not to dis the Sigma macro which may be a very good non-macro lens though. Both have good reputation.

Daniel
@Daniel
Can't afford both, I only went fora true 1:1 macro lense as this was on my "lens wishlist" for a long time, together with a real wide lens, which I am still looking for.

@All
Thanks again for your help in deciding here, took my Viv for a walk in the backyard today andtook some nice pictures with it in macro and non-macro mode.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:24 AM   #25

Th, I think you got a winner there. Now you will see how DOF can really do things to a photo. These lens have such a flat thin DOF that getting the right shot can be a challenge, But that is what keeps us going..The Challenge!!! Good photos so far and I can already see your progression in improvements. A learning curve that you are mastering with every photo. I wait to be amazed in your future posts. Again congrats on a worthwhile purchase.

P.S. I too am constantly amazed at the feeling of turning thr focus ring on one of these. You'd think a lens maker would go back and do a copy of them. The market is there if they would just see it!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote