Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:39 AM   #11

Forget everything I suggested regarding using the 1.4X and 2X Sigma teleconverters with the new Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 DG Macro HSM II. Apparently in adding Macro focusing and HSM capability to the lens, Sigma dropped the compatibility with the teleconverters. I attached mine last night and got strange readings on my metering, then realized I no longer had the ability to auto-focus. The way it operated, I speculated that the contacts had changed some in function. Apparently, I was correct.

This morning, I went to the Sigma website to check compatibility of the teleconverters and with Pentax AF, only older versions of the lens are shown as compatible with the teleconverters. It causes me only minor inconveniences because of other lenses I own and the fact that my main use of the teleconverters is really long nature shooting. But, it certainly could affect others who might be considering this combination.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:39 AM   #12

Scott... thanks for all the input. Very useful. You're right... I am interested in quality, but the budget won't let me go above $1000 - at least not for a while. That's why the solution might very well be buying the right used lens - if and when I can find it. As I mentioned earlier, if the right deal doesn't come along soon enough, I could always go for the Pentax 55-300mm f/4-5.8. No, it's not as fast as I'd like. But for $321 (on Amazon), it could at least provide me with something halfway decent in that zoom range until I can find the solution I really want. In another 12-18 months, I might very well be able to go for the DA* 300mm - or perhaps something else yet to be introduced in that class. Paul, sorry the experiment didn't work out. But it was a great idea.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:49 AM   #13

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Hi Scott

You mention the 1.7 AF Adapter as your most used lens accessory,¬* I am expecting mine to arrive in a few days meanwhile can you tell me please if it is usable with manual lenses such as the M42 screw mount Takumar 300/4 which I use with a pentax mount adapter?¬* My camera is ist* DS,¬* thanks.

I have a number of manual telephoto lenses which are all used with M42 mount adapter except a Sigma APO¬* 400/5.6 which has a KA mount.
Hi John,

I'd never tried it before, but just did. Using a Pentax M42 S-M-C Takumar 200/4 with an original Pentax M42-K adaptor, the AFA would not actuate until I covered the contacts on the AFA with foil when mounting the lens. The AFA worked as intended with the contacts shorted. Using the foil is not difficult, just take a piece large enough to cover the contact area on the AFA, then hold it in place while you mount the lens. With mine, the foil rotated with the lens as it was turned into the mount on the camera, so I had to offset the foil a bit in the direction opposite to the rotation when mounting the lens.

I'd previously removed the spring lock in the screw to K adaptor, and added a tiny drop of penentrating thread sealer to keep the adapter on the lens, so the adaptor does not lock into the camera mount. I'd previously had some anxiety about accidentally dismounting the lens when focusing, but the thickness of the foil tightens the mount enough that it would not be much of a worry if I used this combo.

I decided early on to concentrate on "A" capable lenses, so all the lenses that I had previously used with the AFA are KA mounts. I may try playing with the few screw mounts that I do still have. . .

There is probably a way to at least semi-permanently alter the screw mt adaptor so it makes the correct contact, but I think I'd just make sure I carried a sheet of foil in my bag.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 7:57 PM   #14

Thanks Scott, after having paid out for the adapter I was getting concerned with some on-line comments that I might wind up with very little use of it!

Yes, I removed the spring lock from my M42 adapters too and managed on some of my lensesto cut a small notch in the body of the lens so the 'K' mount latch makes it all secure. I lock the adapters to the lenses by using an old TC as a 'wrench' to screw them on really tight!
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:42 PM   #15

i've got the tamron 300/2.8 also and all 3 matched TCs.. they work great but you'll need some brawn to tote it around.. it sells on ebay for 400-700usd. there's usually at least 1 being offered all the time.. for a light weight 300 i have a super-tak 300/4 and find it shoots great shots..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:27 PM   #16

Still waiting for my adapter to arrive, such a pity as the weather is excellent this weekend!:roll:When I get my hands on it I hope to have a choice of moderately fast 300 and 300+ auto focus combinations to play with.:-)
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:15 PM   #17

The adapter has arrived! Please see my ' They have got me confused' topic.:roll:
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:09 AM   #18

Biro wrote:
Quote:
Oh yes. One last non-related question. Has anyone had experience with both the Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0 lens and the Pentax Limited 31mm f/1.8 lens? I'd love to pick up that 31mm Limited. But at $800+, I might have to settle for the 35mm. Price aside, is the real-world difference between these lenses all that much? And do the FA lenses that were designed in the film days offer full metering and auto focus?

Steve
Seems like everyone jumped this question.

All F and FA lenses are fully compatible with the Pentax DSLRs, auto everything.

I don't have both the 3x-mm lenses, I have theFA 35 f2. I'm very happy about it and anyone in the forum knows that I'm prettyfastidiouswhen it comes to lenses. I'm sure the 31 mm adds something, but not as much as the price difference indicates. If I was given one for free I'd sure use it, but if I could save up the money myself I'd buy something else, since the 35 mm never lets me down. It must be one of Pentax's best "consumer grade" lenses.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:38 AM   #19

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Biro wrote:
Quote:
Oh yes. One last non-related question. Has anyone had experience with both the Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0 lens and the Pentax Limited 31mm f/1.8 lens? I'd love to pick up that 31mm Limited. But at $800+, I might have to settle for the 35mm. Price aside, is the real-world difference between these lenses all that much? And do the FA lenses that were designed in the film days offer full metering and auto focus?

Steve
Seems like everyone jumped this question.

All F and FA lenses are fully compatible with the Pentax DSLRs, auto everything.

I don't have both the 3x-mm lenses, I have the¬*FA 35 f2. I'm very happy about it and anyone in the forum knows that I'm pretty¬*fastidious¬*when it comes to lenses. I'm sure the 31 mm adds something, but not as much as the price difference indicates. If I was given one for free I'd sure use it, but if I could save up the money myself I'd buy something else, since the 35 mm never lets me down. It must be one of Pentax's best "consumer grade" lenses.

Kjell
To continue this part of the thread. . . you might want to consider the new DA*35 f2.8 macro Ltd. At @$500, certainly not cheap, but it got a rather glowing reiew from Mike Johnston:

http://photo.net/columns/mjohnston/p...al-discussion/

I don't have the lens, and am certainly not the last word when it comes to WA primes, since I don't own any, but this might be a quality alternative.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:08 PM   #20

Wow. And it's a marco lens to boot... and still $400 less than the 31mm Limited. It would be nice if it were an f/2 or f/1.8... but I think I can live with f/2.8 just fine. I don't know how I missed this myself. Scott, thanks for calling this lens to my attention. And Kjell, thanks for reviving this part of my initial post. Wouldn't be fantastic if Pentax put out a whole family of DA primes like this?

Steve
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote