Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2008, 2:11 PM   #11

Hi Ole from a fellow Scandinavian (I'm even close to Denmark, Hässleholm in Skåne). Welcome to the friendliest forum on the Internet, where any Pentax-related question will be answered.

There is no surgery needed to make your 85 mm lens stop down with a K20D. You just go into the menue, choose Spec inst (if you use Swedish as your menue language, guess it's something like "spec sett" in English),scroll to number 36 (second last) "Användning av bländarring" ("use aperture ring"), set it to 2 Tillåten ("allow") and leave it there for ever. The setting has no effect on the use of newer lenses, actually I don't even understand why Pentax gives us the option to turn it off.

Then you use the lens like this:
  1. Choose aperture with the ring. You will not see any change in the viewfinder, and the display in the viewfinder will indicate F -- as "aperture unknown". [/*]
  2. Then turn the on/off lever beyond on to the symbol for DOF preview. Then the camera will stop down your lens to your chosen aperture, and indicate in the viewfinder if the picture will be under- or overexposed bygiving youa value between -3 and+3. [/*]
  3. Then you can change the exposure time with the thumb wheel or change the aperture with the ring on the lens till you get a correct exposure.
[/*]
Sounds much more complicated than it is, once you have found out how to do it it takes a fraction of an instant.

Hej så länge,

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:28 PM   #12

Darnit, I am way too slow with answering here, blegh :sad:

@OW
Welcome to the forum! I can't add much here over what Kjell already said. Justoperate your lens as always, when it comes to shooting use "M" setting and set everything manually (from guessing, metering with external tools, from experience, trial&error) OR use the settings Kjell described and make the lens stop down for metering purposes by pressing the specified button.

I am sure you will enjoy your old lenses even more now as they all work with your new body!

I'll add some more shots I took today, just to encourage you even more to go on, all taken with the M-85/2 and a Viv 2x macro TC plus onboard flash (using a DL2 myself) Again - the color rendition is wonderful, even with a TC. Images itself are a tad soft but have a lot of detail and with some small post-processing adjustments the images sometimes literally blow me away.

#1 - small flower, I was faszinated by the blue stamen, but it was almost impossible to catch that and not overdo the other colors. Here's the compromise I went for:
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:30 PM   #13

#2 fall has arrived but these small guys still provide some summer feeling between all the autumn-colors
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:42 PM   #14

#3 - finally, a spider having dinner
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2008, 5:54 PM   #15

Hey Thkn,
Nice going! I think you got a keeper for sure.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:40 PM   #16

OW - the only thing that I didn't see in Kjell's post is that you need to have the camera set to the "M" mode. Otherwise the camera won't stop the lens down when you shoot. Any other mode the camera leaves the lens wide open, but does continuously meters. If you use the M mode, the camera doesn't automatically change the shutter speed. You can either push the green button which will temporarily stop the lens down and allow the camera to meter, or use Kjell's method, using the optical review function and adjust yourself using the meter in the viewfinder. I think his method is generally more accurate than the green button.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:32 AM   #17
OW

Hej Kjell

Most Friendly Forum ? -Nah, I guess that I've found my long lost family ! So please allow me to thank You Kjell, jachol, thkn777, and mtngal for response and kindwelcomes.

Your direction confirmed that it (the stopping down) could be done,and mtngal direction to go on M (HyperManual really)got me in the right direction.

I hastelygave the K20D and SMC M85/2 combo an new whirl. It WORKED !!!

But it also forces me to, RESPECTFULLY, alter Your combined directions on as"how to".

Seeing that Your combined directions worked, I decided to put on my Thinking Cap.

Pentax persistently call the M mode "HyperManual", and that's, naturally, because of the unique and BLESSED "Green Button"!

So here it goes:

With old revered K-mounts with aperturerings sans "A" position:

1.: Go in M (HyperManual) mode

2.: Put the apertureringto your preferred f-value (say f 8, where all optical parameters always seemes to click)

3.: Compose and focus

4.: Press the "Blessed Green Button" (lens stops down when pressed, up when released) -AND: -The green button works its magic, as always i HyperManual. Here it "freezes" thecombination af YOUR chosen aperture and the correct exposure time !!!

5.: Check composure (with the benefit of a wide open aperture)

6.:Take the picture !

All this is faster than the drop of a hat, and as it seems almost to good to be true, I surely would appreciate the opinion Y'all.

ThankYous and regards all around

Ole

OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:04 AM   #18

Hey OW,
glad to see it works for you now - happy snapping!

Regards,
Th
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:14 PM   #19

OW, that is my method exactly. Enjoy and post some shots as you go!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:27 AM   #20
OW

Hi Tim & All congeneal souls in this marvellous forum.

Thank You allfor warmth and wisdom. Since joining 17.10.2008, I've been reading most of the topics in "Pentax Lenses" and I am awestruck and overwhelmed by Your insight, enthusiasm and knowledge Especially the willingness to share pictures strikes me as THE approach to make a point.

Unfortunately all of this have given me "BUCKFEVER", so Ishall not submit my pictures for a (long) while, but take the bench and watch the forum eagerly, for some further coaching.

Awestruck as I am, I'm none the less contemplating to start a new topic (if I can) about CTSD & LBA though, trying to share thoughts on cause, remedy and eventuelly cure -IF THAT's possible (-IF cure actualle iswished for, as it seemes that the LBA -struck live very happy and active lives)

Best regards

Ole

OW is offline   Reply With Quote