Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:38 PM   #1

Hi there,
at the moment I am testing different lenses, because a friend gave mea photo-bag full of old Pentax-stuff to see what is still usable/good and probably sell something to get some cash.

Now I like fast lenses as I try to avoid using a flash, so I put that M 85/2 aside just for the fact it is a fast lense and concentrated on the slower ones first. Since I tested resolution and color reproduction for the other lenses too and there was nice late-evening light available today, I choosed to take some photos with that lens for some unknown reason.

To cut a long story short - the performance nearly blew me away. Don't want to make a big fuzz about it, but to me this looks really great and since I did the RAW development and postprocessing anyway I thought I share my findings. You know - especially the "mostly red" and "mostly blue" objects are hard to catch, they often look soft/fuzzy to a certain degree.

Here are 2 shots, both wide open (f/2) and ISO200, taken with my DL2. First comes a slightly cropped version of the original photo (something like a 80-85% crop to get rid of some unwanted borders), resized to 720 pixel width. Then there are two 1:1 crops. First one is what I got after the RAW conversion (I used Raw Therapee, mainly did color and histogram adjustment, plus a tad local contrast enhancement). The last one is postprocessed for details/printing.

What do you say... isn't it astonishing? I wasn't aware of this... maybe it's because the 85/2 was mainly a portrait lens? But maybe it's just me and I overact here. Anyway - look for yourself and decide on your own. I think I'll reserve that lens for my own use

Best regards,
Th.

Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:39 PM   #2

And #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:15 PM   #3

#3 wild wine at last... red and blue - not to speak about the sharpness at f/2: look at the remains of that spider-web.

Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:42 PM   #4

Well if it was in MY hands, I can assure you it would not be passing into someone else's if the cost was anywhere reasonable. I am like you and I prefer a fast lens to flash any day and those shots look great.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:31 AM   #5

Quite obviously a gem. I've read good reviews about it before, but I have as far as I can recall never ever seen it offered for sale, so keep your fingers tight around this one.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:38 PM   #6

Awesome pictures - I'm like everyone else, that lens would be in my closet if I could possibly swing it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:00 AM   #7
OW

Hi thnk777

In days of yore I was an ardent analog amateur, and always had 85mm as my favorite, starting with the M42 SMC Takumar 85mm f 1.9 -then"upgraded" to the K-Mount (No portable zooms at the time - exceptNikons 43-86 mm - which nearly made me switch from Pentax to Nikon, but then there was the cost).

Thus I today have the SMC M 85 f2, and as I bought the K20D just a week ago, your post of 10-10-2008, with the magnificent pics made me shout with glee.

However, -Do You, or otherrevered members, know if there is any way to make it stop down, to make use of apertures other than f2 ? -Major surgery excepted ?

Kind Regards

Ole

OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 5:28 AM   #8

OW wrote:
Quote:
However, -Do You, or otherrevered members, know if there is any way to make it stop down, to make use of apertures other than f2 ? -Major surgery excepted ?

Kind Regards

Ole

Hi Ole,

Welcome to the board, am I right in thinking this is an M42 screwfit lens ... if that's the case I know some of the guys have either bent the operating pin to make it

stick,or glued the pin so that it stays in the fully depressed position to close the aperture. Aperture can then be controlled manually with it's operating ring.

Hope this helps ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:11 AM   #9
OW

Hi Jack

Thanks for Your response.

No, oddly enough the "SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 85mm" is a K-mount lens ( 49mm filter)! It isvery compact compared to my first "SMC Takumar 1:1.9 85mm" a M42 screw mount, a real beautifullly made lens in "alle glass and metal" with "black satin finish" et al, being approx twice size and weight with 58mm filter, ass I recall.

Writing this make me almost depressed, that I was so dimwitted as to "upgrade" to the K-mount. Remember in those days all lenses were primes, no zoom at all, that could be carried, let alone be bought for less than a full years earnings. Thus even with two camera bodies (carrying 35mm and 85mm) You'd tend to give up the finding un-screwing, fumbling and on-screwing. Remember the protective caps had to be screwed too. (Pheew, -Find myself bordering on foul language here, which is totally unintended. -please bear with me, as Danish is my native tongue !)

Guess I'll pass on the pin bending surgery, and take hart in the possibilities shown us by thnk777. And it's in THIS context, I kick myself for letting the good olde M42 lens go.

mvh

Ole

OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:37 AM   #10

OK Ole,

I missed the lens description in your earlier post, so I should have known it was K mount, I guess I'm not understanding your question re. stopping down though.

The lens certainly gets 3 good reviews here ... Jack. http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...=81&cat=27
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote