Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1
OW

It all started with the book "Family of Man" giving an urge to get a camera.

THE CAUSE:

Then came the worship and heroes: Catrier-Bresson, Eric Salmon, Brassai, Jacob Riis ImogeneCunninghamand many more.

After seeing the resulting pictures from my first SLR, I soon understood that the reason they were so miserable was: WRONG Lens !!!

As the right lens would be rather expensive, there were ample grounds for study, as to prevent buying a lemon.

I can still pinpoint from WHOM I got thevirus, namely the Highly Revered, but late, and sorely missed, Herbert Keppler of PoP Photo et al. I got CTSCD (Compulsory Technical Specifications Checking Disorder) , and I got it BAD, a close relative to LBA !

And now, after getting my first DSLR, the CTSCD has returned !!!!

-But then I found this forum, and it has helped me restoring my faculties, with a hope of recovery, if only I get back tothe basics, as itonce happened a long time ago, when I was sitting on a small mountain af photobags with assorted lenses inthem !

Taking the example exemplary set by Cartier-Bresson, Kertesz, Salmon etc, who had to work with just one lens, slow films,complex camera operations and no light metering at hand.

I decided, like them,to stick to just 1 (one) lens,namely a fast 85mm givinga 27 degrees veiw, the exactly same way I see the world ! (No surprise here, as human beings are designed to focus on SableToothed cats, and such to whack them down to get dinner. What you need hereis 27 degrees of vision -anything more is distraction)

THE REMEDY:

Stick to your guns ! =>-Mine being the 85mm (now with a 18 degree vision due to the 1.5 factor, equals new challenge) and the 18-55 kit lens. = The consealed backup gun will be "Vivitar Series 1 28-105" A lens giving an almost sensual feeling of joy to handle.

THE CURE

Go hunting for pictures ! Take time to learn the strengths of your lens, overcome whatever limitations might occur (Hey dude, Try to move to get a new perspective, I'll keep telling myself -Sorry this might NOT work with mountains, andpleaseDO take carewhen your objects are fast moving wild animals !)

So NO MORE LBA for ME -Thank you very much !!!

Then again:

C O N F E S S I O N :

I sure hope that Pentax have the good sense to bring a fast 60mm quality DA*lens on the market sometime soon !

-And I sure hope that there will be a 16-80mm or even 16-105 DA* supplement to the now available17-70mm, how should IT compete with the very good DA 18-55mmkit- Except for the Heavy LBA-struck !

-Then I Could buy the 18-250, -just to check which focal length I should go for.

-Mayby there might be som analog A* laying around for the picking......

CONCLUSION:

I Am a LBA !!!!

-Does anybody know the addresse to the ALBA (Anonymous Lens Bying Addicts) in Denmark

THE FINAL FINDING:

How blessed and lucky are WE, to posses this wondertool the DSLR, having the whole world in our hands, when we compare ourselvesto those who went before us -the likes of say Jacob Riis or Cartier-Bresson.

Actually I was to whine about "how small and ill placed the "Green Button" and the "AE-L" buttons are ! And this with the technical quantumleap DSLR in my hand -Shame on Me !

As I'm still uncertain for the Standards, Bounds, and Decorum in this community, I hope to be excused, rather than beingbanned for starting this topic.

Love

Ole

OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:05 PM   #2

ole,
you forgot Smith and Eisenstat.. i'll forgive youthis time.
as far as a replacement for your very nice vivitar 28-105 you want to try out the pentax A35-105/3.5.. it's not a * lens but it should be. one of pentax's best..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3

Ole - After reading your post, I know you'll fit right in with the rest of us over here.

I try to shoot with just one lens, really I do. Today I went out to visit an interesting outside staircase, planning on playing with a wide angle lens I have. After a couple of uninspired picture,I found myself shooting sunbathers with a 300mm lens - not exactly a wide angle! I just give up trying to be so disciplined, and go with the flow.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4

Ole...Great post and no forgiveness needed. I have given similar rants in the past myself and felt better for it afterward.

I too at the moment am trying to master a single lens. I was fortunate to be given a Sigma 50-500mm lens and have since that Gift's arrival have been trying to master it. First at the longest range and later at the closest range. Mastery is not easy and (for me) may not be obtainable but I persevere. The challenge is the spur and the failures are most enlightening.

LBA is there still, lurking in the shadows of my sub-conscious mind. I keep it at bay but as the days pass find it harder and harder to ignore. Not visiting Ebay as often helps but I still hear that FA* 300mm f/2.8 calling my name....

Oh no!!! I just looked and there is one there...I wonder if I sold my truck and bought it...Would the 12 mile walk each way to work durring the fall and winter really be that bad????.... Sigh.....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:52 AM   #5

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Oh no!!! I just looked and there is one there...I wonder if I sold my truck and bought it...Would the 12 mile walk each way to work durring the fall and winter really be that bad????.... Sigh.....

Dawg
Think of it as character building!!!

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:45 PM   #6

Hi Ole,

what a nice read I had different cameras in the past but for my first (and only) SLR (analog/film) I never considered another lens than the kit lens. It just worked... no need to change something. Then I bought my first digicam, an Oly C770. 10x zoom. Very nice camera. Bad ISO performance, slow/unreliable AF, but after a while I got used to it and it gave me lots of very nice images. But we (me and my family) knew that it had limitations. Mainly the AF, which really spoiled the fun. We remembered all too well the SLR feeling... ok, so I bite the bullet and buy a dSLR. Pentax DL2 with kit lens. Wohoo. I could have been happy with it... but we also remembered the 10x zoom. :roll:

A 28-210mm lens followed the kit lens. Things might have gone another way if I would have bought a good external flash, but I didn't. I lived with the onboard flash. And I still missed the "wow" factor I thought a dSLR should give.

To cut a long story short... on one day I saw a camera collector sell a very old pentax film camera with a Pentax-A 50/1.7 lens. I bought it. And WHAM(!) - there was the wow factor. It blew me away. Sharp, clear, nice colors, very fast... wonderful. From that day on I accepted that a good lens can and will make a difference. With the experience I've got so far, regarding my interests in photography and the way to do it I know some things I can hold on while sorting lens stuff.

- I seldom carry a tripod with me, but maybe I'll try a monopod one day
- a lens of around 800g or more, handheld, is too heavy. Maybe I'll tolerate weight for an hour or so, but then it starts to get uncomfortable
- I want fast lenses, as I dislike most of the pictures I take with the onboard flash and still don't have an external flash
- I want details/accuracy. Either in the means of sharpness or in the means of colors. If a lens can give both, that's even better.
- I'll concentrate on 2 things at max while shooting. Operating a fully manual lens with framing the image, zoom, aperture etc. - is funny for the first 5 mins, after that it's work rather than fun.
- I will not carry around a huge backpack with dozens of lenses.

With that in mindI am working on my lens selection and am now at the point that I really have to sell stuff I won't use, believe it or not. I am very sure that I'll keep my 50/1.7, 85/2, 135/2.5 and 200/4 lens, also the 40/2.8 pancake for lightweight travel (already practised it and it worked). I am not so sure about the zoom lenses as they all have advantages and disadvantages, and some of them serve as "family lenses", meaning they work in "AUTO" mode, which is important for my wife and daughter.

That being said I know what you mean with CTSCD and LBA, but found that I really can go out with one lens (40mm or 50mm or 28-105 (or similar) zoom), My advise is: don't be too hard with yourself. Limit yourself to 2-3 lenses, just in case you stumble upon a chance. You know... you mount a wide-angle lens because you want to take landscape photos and then some animals show up... you'll end up heartbroken if you can't get that picture - of course you could try "landscape with whatever-animal" shots, a real challenge...

My "wanted" list is very small at the moment, mainly I am looking for a real wide lens (wider than my kit lens, maybe even a fish eye), that produces good/sharp images. If I stumble upon an affordable fast/sharp 300...400mm lens (I use a Tammy 70-300 for this at the moment and I miss the wow factor on that lens) I might think twice over it... but that's it. I held on that list for like a year now and it works.

Think over your lenses and what you want to photograph. Keep in mind that you can take a lot more photos with memory chips being cheap and re-usable. You aren't limited to 24 or 36 images per film roll. If you take 100 pics and they are all bad, delete them. Try just to have fun using what you've got and rather select and postprocess / print, give away, show around etc. your photos then just take them and pixel-peep why they aren't good.

When taking photos, I am usually happy when I've got a "picture of the day". One good/funny/whatever photo that is really special and worth showing around and talk about it. This weekend I've got 2 of these at one day - boy was I happy!!!

OK, long post, but maybe it helps a bit.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:58 PM   #7

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg
Think of it as character building!!!

Dal
That much building could kill an old man!!! Maybe a skate board or push scooter???

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:45 AM   #8
OW

Hi Roy

I stand corrected !

W Eugene Smith though, is so much more than a photographer. After his coverage of invasions and air combat missions in WWII, which got him severely wounded, he developed into a photographerPhilosopher willing to spend years with his subjects.

His work from a Japanese fishing village, documenting the severe effects of a nearby chemical plant also nearly got him killed, as thughs beat him up bad. You might even say he was the first ECO-warrier. Thanks for bringing up !

Your suggestion of the SMC 35-135mm aint exactly helping in the LBA-department -Huh ? But thanks anyway, I'll remain happily smiten.

KR

Ole
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9
OW

Greetings Ms mtngal

Nah, I shall never be so disciplined and I pretend to aim for.

As of discipline, I have to mention Your fellow Californian Ansel Adams (aka Yosemite Sam) with whom You surely share the love of the mountains. His works on especially "El Capitan" shall never be surpassed, as sha'n't his invention of the Zone Metering System. -But I gather that You have a more perambulatory approach to the same mountains.

Allow me to express my thanks for Your vigilance in this forum. Your postings are a lifegiving spring of inspiration, which I hope shall not dry out

KR

Ole

Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:02 PM   #10
OW

Howdy Dawg

I take great comfort in Your admission of former ranting, seeing You being an essential heartbeat in this forum. I'll pay heed though, that I shall NOT takes this as an encouragement to keep on ranting.

I envy Your happy relation with Your BIGMA, but might suspect that I ether have the steady hand or strong back to carry such formidable weapon.

Also confirm my thesis that the LBA-infected indeed can live happy and rich lives.

Much obliged

Ole