Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:03 PM   #1

Does anyone have this lens? I am wondering what you think of it.

The price is certainly right! I have the k10d and would love to do macro, but the lenses are way out of my price range. This one says it has the capabilities, but I wonder if it is any good.

I already have a 70-300mm lens that I use all the time and love so I am kind of torn.

Or does anyone know of another lower priced macro lens that might be better?

Thank you
wishiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:17 PM   #2

welcome to the family.
which 70-300 are you using?? your lens will probably do 1:2 (half life size) macro shots... they shoot very well also. at least as good as you'll get without a dedicated macro lens.. i've taken good ones with a sigma70-300 that were great..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:39 PM   #3

Thank you for the welcome robar,

The 70-300mmI have is a SMC Pentax FAJ 1:4.5-5.8. I took a few close up shots a couple weeks ago with it, but I had to be so far back to focus. I was shooting some bees and I did get some good pictures but it was a pain. I would like to have something that I can be closer too, not sure if I am saying this right. I am pretty new to all the jargon. :?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:13 AM   #4

the pentax is not one even remotely for macros. i'd ebay it and get the tamron or sigma 70-300(not sure about the tokina).. both deliver great shots however you use the lens. a 1:2 macro is a good place to start to see if you get into shooting macros. forget about AF. manually focus by leaning in and out from your subject. shoot bursts instead of single shots.. don't feel bad when your shots look like s!!! when you view them on the monitor.. we've all been there and still shoot s!!! all the time. reviewing macros will definitely wear off the print on your delete key.. as i said before , do NOT feel let down by the IQ of your shots.. it takes technique, but you're shooting to develop that.. there's not a person here that will tell you differently.. flash also improves shooting macros.

roy
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:39 AM   #5

I got very good shots with a Tamron 70-300 and you should get the same with a Sigma 70-300. 1:2 macros can do very well if, as Roy said you learn the technique.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 2:52 PM   #6

Robar, the eyes on that bug are amazing! Wow.

I thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I have something to go on now. I see a few sigmas on ebay right now that are very reasonably priced. I will go with one of them.

Before getting my dslr Iwas just using a Fujifilm finepix s700 for macro. It actually takes pretty good close up shots. It has a super macro setting that lets you get up to 1cm. I am looking forward to being able to get more out of my k10d

Thanks again for the help!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:13 PM   #7

just be sure you get a recent APO version from sigma.. +/- 200usd

roy
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:26 PM   #8

wishiwas wrote:
Quote:
Robar, the eyes on that bug are amazing! Wow....
Before getting my dslr Iwas just using a Fujifilm finepix s700 for macro. It actually takes pretty good close up shots.
was that the s7000?? quite a few of us moved up from that model.. it's my backup cam now.. great cam..
prob is that in super macro at 1/2'' from the subject is a little close for many shots of moving subjects

roy
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:08 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
wishiwas wrote:
Quote:
Before getting my dslr Iwas just using a Fujifilm finepix s700 for macro. It actually takes pretty good close up shots.
was that the s7000?? quite a few of us moved up from that model.. it's my backup cam now.. great cam..
prob is that in super macro at 1/2'' from the subject is a little close for many shots of moving subjects

roy
no, mine was the s700. It is a good camera though and has a ton of user settings. I guess it was a good stepping up camera.Thats very interesting that a lot of people moved up from the Fujifilm..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for the super macro setting, everything definetly has to be staying still for you.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 4:38 PM   #10

wishiwas wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
wishiwas wrote:
Quote:

roy
no, mine was the s700. It is a good camera though and has a ton of user settings. I guess it was a good stepping up camera.Thats very interesting that a lot of people moved up from the Fujifilm..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for the super macro setting, everything definetly has to be staying still for you.
Moved up from the Kodak DX6490 myself. Still my backup when the wife lets me use it. Do my macros now with a K10D and a Vivitar series 1 105mm f/2.5 1:1 macro lens. Kinda like going from the stone age to the computer age in one day. No comparison really!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote