Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:47 PM   #1

Hey,
this started as a test shot, but I like how it came out, so I thought I share.

@OW
Let's start talking about taking pictures

I was playing around with some manual lenses in "A" mode with exposure compensation set to -1. I found that little trick a while ago and use it if I am too lazy to meter every time and can afford or want thin DOF. Originally this started as a little comparison of the M85/2, K135/2.5, Viv 70-210/2.8-4 and M200/4 lens - so I wasn't really looking for "nice" objects, more for difficult ones (camera/sensor-wise).

When I saw that paprika pepper (or is papsicum the better word for it?) I was again surprised about the detail and color reproduction and the almost 3D-feeling. Exposure compensation in RAW converter, followed by some minor histogram works and some experimental detail/sharpening (trying to get some understanding of CMYK at the moment).

OK, here we go, original image resized.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:50 PM   #2

and a detail crop.

The K135/2.5 is one ofmy favourites, it is capable of producing very nice pictures, has a wonderful handling and is quite fast for it's focal length.

Have fun,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:18 AM   #3
OW

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hey,
this started as a test shot, but I like how it came out, so I thought I share.

@OW
Let's start talking about taking pictures

Salutations Senzei !

I shall respectfully decline to "start talking about pictures" !

In the presence ofa True Master, I find it wiser to keep my trap shut, and just watch and learn -Excellent Paprika picsSir !!!

Instead of talking pictures, I should startTAKING pictures, and put my pictures where my mouth is !

-Thus You shalll find me very silent in the "picture talking" department for a long time.

Respectfully Yours

Ole

OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:08 AM   #4

Hi Ole,
I am not a true master :roll:, I've got some basic tricks under my belt and am good in throwing away the many many bad shots I get... if you browse the forum you'll see people that constantly deliver GREAT and (almost) professional work, if you need/want somebody to call "master", please search there.

As for talking about pictures, that's not what I was suggesting in the first place, it was "Let's start talking about taking pictures" - grab some equipment and go hunting for some nice photos! Fall is here and colors are still wonderful, very nice opportunities for landscapes, trees, leafes, foggy sunrises and stuff. Don't let go away these chances!

By DOING things you can learn a lot AND have fun - isn't this a wonderful combo? I was so happy that you've got your 85/2 lens working on the camera - just enjoy this! If you are ok/good with manual focus, use the "lazy" approach I described and snap happily away, just follow your feelings, stop thinking too much.

Then fetch yourself a good glass of wine (or whatever you prefer), browse your photos, don't be afraid to delete a picture if it is bad, that's life! But save the good ones, start cropping a bit for fun, set exposure, maybe WB- just the basic things. You'll see - you'll get your keepers!

Have a nice weekend,
Th.

Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:44 PM   #5

they call that a bell pepper on this side of the pond..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:12 PM   #6

Nicely done TH. I regret selling my super tak 135 f/3.5 everytime I see someone else post with a 135.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:35 AM   #7

@robar
Aha, thanks! Good to know.

@dawg
Thank you, too! I've got a spare used Pentax 135/3.5 here, with hard case... but it will cost way too much to send to you... and on the other hand these are offered for reasonable prices on *bay, too.

Especially the handling and feel of the K 135/2.5 lens is great AND if such a lens gives you good IQ this is even better
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:19 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
@robar
Aha, thanks! Good to know.

@dawg
Thank you, too! I've got a spare used Pentax 135/3.5 here, with hard case... but it will cost way too much to send to you... and on the other hand these are offered for reasonable prices on *bay, too.

Especially the handling and feel of the K 135/2.5 lens is great AND if such a lens gives you good IQ this is even better
I agree. Right now I'm concentrating on a different focal length but I still have a J.C. Penny 135 that keeps my needs and wants for a 135 in check for the moment anyway.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote