Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:19 PM   #21

bluemount wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
bluemount wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I should come here more often. Because I find out there are many info that check here and make this site more knowledgeable to others.

I don't have this lens yet, but thinking about to get one. I like the taste of Meyer's performance quite well. May people might have various comments about this brand, but I found some other sites with quite wonderful out come with Meyer lenses. I will not just buy one side of the corn. This is not my type. :G
If you like the Meyer lenses then look at the Pentacon lenses as well. That is the name that Meyer changed to in the early 80's. So the Pentacon Six lenses are made by the same people that made the Meyer Gorlitz lens.

Dawg
But I like the design of Meyer more than Pentacon, at least they look better to me. :lol:
I do as well. It was designed originally for a medium format camera and therefore is larger in diameter for it's entire length. The larger barrel is more appealing than the small barrel and flared end of the Pentacon..

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:08 AM   #22

btw, do you have any experience of using 2x extension (with glass)?

I want to know is there any different of different brand? Which one is the less affects the picture quality? :?
bluemount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:43 PM   #23

The only Tele-converter that I've used with this lens is the Sigma 1.4 APO DG EX. A 2X converter will change the photo IQ quite a bit. It is recommended for Digital cameras to use 1.4 or 1.7 tele-converters as they just seem to work better. I shot the photos here with the Sigma TC and the Meyer lens from a long distance.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94
Hope this helps.

Dawg
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:14 PM   #24

Do you have a picture that can be my reference? thx...... :-)
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:22 AM   #25

bluemount wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a picture that can be my reference? thx...... :-)
Instead of getting a Sigma APO teleconverter I'd get a Kenko which cost about 1/3 the cost of the APO one and it will fit all Pentax mount lens as well, Or a Tamron one if you can find it as it can be used with all K-mount lens as well. The Sigma APO teleconverters are made to fit only Sigma APO lenses. It will fit the Meyer 300mm and the Vivitar TX mount lenses but most K mount lens can not use this teleconverter.

Here is a Kenko one here and they do ship world wide.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Here is the Sigma APO Teleconverter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

And here is a photo of the Meyers lens and the Sigma APO teleconverter mounted on my K10D camera.

Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:59 PM   #26

So, in this case, if K-mount can't fit with this lens, there will be no 2x or 1.4x or 1.7x can use with it?

Because I'm thinking that 300mm might not long enough for me to shot birds and I need to get a tele-converter to make it longer. Mine is M42 mount and the brand you mentioned might not have the M42 mount 2x, right?

Also, I have Sigma DSLR and Minolta 7D (most likely I will use M42 adapter). Both of them I'll put the Meyer 300mm on but if there is no such adapter for this lens, that will be useless.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:54 AM   #27

I mount the M42 - K-mount adapter to the lens and then the TC will mount to the adapter Since the TC is a K-mount and then the TC mounts to the camera. The lens is an M42 thread mount. The TC is a K-mount. So you see any M42 to K-mount adapter will work. Then the lens and adapter will mount to the K-mount camera. When I got the lens it came with a M42 to Canon mount but I removed the Canon mount adapter and put an M42 - K-mount adapter in it's place.

Just remember this will still be an ALL MANUAL lens even with the auto TC. But these TC's will work with this Meyer lens and most any camera as long as the proper adapter is used. With the Pentax I have, it retains the focus to infinity. With some other brands that might not work.

You can pick up a used 2X TC in K-mount on ebay for a very cheap price and using an M42 to K mount adapter, then you would have the Lens-TC- Camera combination you are looking for. As the lens is all manual an Auto TC is not really needed. I use an Auto TC because that is what I have. With a 2X TC and this camera lens combination the focal length in 35mm equivalence is 900mm. That should be as long as you would need for birds. At this focal length a tripod is recommended.

So to answer your first question ....any K-mount TC will work with this lens as long as you use an M42 to K-mount adapter. Go here for a look at the adapter.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Universal.html

I will post some photos sometime Friday (my time) to show the combination of Lens-Adapter-Teleconverter-Camera and how they go together.

Dawg
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:28 PM   #28

Well I'm late, but here are the photos I promised. This first one is the lens interchangeable mount with the M42 to k mount adapter screwed on dismounted from the camera.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:29 PM   #29

The adapter mounted to the lens.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:30 PM   #30

A better look from longer range.
Attached Images