Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:17 PM   #1

The Sigma 100-300mm DL.....

The original

The crop

The Vivitar 300mm TX

The original

The crop

The Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma"

The original

The crop

The Meyer 300mm f/4

The original

The crop

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:22 PM   #2

Hey Dawg,

I don't think the comparison shots are really comparable in a true one-by-one technical manner as some resolution chart shots would have been.

That being said it is a much better comparison if you see it from another point of view: a real life situation comparison

I can see a clear winner here, if you only judge by these pics and crops, and that's the Vivitar TX - when it comes to details and sharpness. Overall feeling I am struggling a bit... Viv and Meyer, Bigma short behind, then Sigma 100-300.

That's my impression so far... what do you think?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:01 PM   #3

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Dawg,

I don't think the comparison shots are really comparable in a true one-by-one technical manner as some resolution chart shots would have been.

That being said it is a much better comparison if you see it from another point of view: a real life situation comparison

I can see a clear winner here, if you only judge by these pics and crops, and that's the Vivitar TX - when it comes to details and sharpness. Overall feeling I am struggling a bit... Viv and Meyer, Bigma short behind, then Sigma 100-300.

That's my impression so far... what do you think?
True these are not the lab technical trials some folks would post. I use them (the lenses) therefore I show what they can do when I use them. Glad you approve. I mean that. I was afraid most folks would not understand why I did it this way...by the way...more to come with maybe a different look at these. Teleconverter added and then some close focus shots.
The two prime lenses do a better job of resolving the details in these photos to me. So yes I agree in the order you said. Funny thing is the Vivatar TX is the cheapest lens of the lot. It cost me around $12.95 honest that is all...plus shipping. Ain't Ebay great...LOL Still hoping to get more of these TX lenses as they really do a good job and do not cost an arm and a leg to buy. Thanks for looking in and commenting my friend.

Dawg

Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:54 PM   #4

Mr Dawg,

Enjoyed the post quite a bit, found it quite useful too!

I don't use mylonger lens that often but have a Sigma 70-300 DL Macro (nonAPO) for the odd occasion. It does the job but besides needing a lot of light the IQ is well.. average (not bad though).

I can get hold of a Pentax K 300mm F4 at quite a good price but I'm not quite sure if the improvement would be substantial enought to offset the con's (no AF, weight etc) orjustify having two lensesthat can shoot at 300.

Repeatabliity, controlled lab conditions and all that jazz aside, this post does make a bit of a case for the older Primes.

Thx & cheers

AL

Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 5:35 PM   #5

Alpo wrote:
Quote:
Mr Dawg,

Enjoyed the post quite a bit, found it quite useful too!

I don't use mylonger lens that often but have a Sigma 70-300 DL Macro (nonAPO) for the odd occasion. It does the job but besides needing a lot of light the IQ is well.. average (not bad though).

I can get hold of a Pentax K 300mm F4 at quite a good price but I'm not quite sure if the improvement would be substantial enought to offset the con's (no AF, weight etc) orjustify having two lensesthat can shoot at 300.

Repeatabliity, controlled lab conditions and all that jazz aside, this post does make a bit of a case for the older Primes.

Thx & cheers

AL

Al, The 300 f/4 takumar K-mount will give you much sharper photos for that focal length. The image quality would be twice as good at least. The thing about primes in the longer length is they weigh more and are fixed in length. If you need and can use that length enough to justify it and it is not too heavy for you to use, then it is well worth the cost of one. You can get quality snapshots with the Sigma DL but you can get high quality photos with the prime lenses. Thanks for looking in and commenting...Also take a look at the next posts in this series where I use a 1.4 TC with these prime lens.

Dawg
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:11 AM   #6

Alpo wrote:
Quote:
Ask the seller to send you 1-2 test shots at f4... and then decide. Wild guess from my side: you will want one ofter you saw the images

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:28 AM   #7

Hey Dawg thanks for your effort, you put up a very interesting range of pics. Were you surprised by the results when you put the results side by side?
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:44 AM   #8

simowills wrote:
Quote:
Hey Dawg thanks for your effort, you put up a very interesting range of pics. Were you surprised by the results when you put the results side by side?
Simon
Not really Simon. Other than the Meyer 300mm, I've used these quite a lot and have extolled the virtues and failures of each. The 300mm Vivitar TX is one of the hidden gems of the group. Still cheap on Ebay and found there quite often. The Meyer lens is certainly not for everyone as it is so heavy. A 300mm Supertakumar in K-mount would be so much easier to use and also be lighter to carry. Wish I'd had one to compare with these but my lunch money hasn't been enough to afford one yet. The Bigma and the DL are not "quite" as good in IQ but their versatility wins out here for me. Especially the Bigma.

Dawg
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:45 AM   #9

thanks for the info Dawg.

Next time your down my way drop in and you can borrow my 300 f4 for your comaro,

Simon (from WAY down south)
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:11 AM   #10

I don't think my pickup can get there Simon but thanks for the offer anyway. LOL :lol:

Dawg :-)