Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Tamron 24mm f/3.5 m42 ok?

I'm looking for a decent, low cost, wide angle lens I probably won't use very often. I can't find any comments on this lens' image quality.

I'd appreciate any info you might have.
dmartin@newarts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:01 AM   #2

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Tamron 24mm f/3.5 m42 ok?

I'm looking for a decent, low cost, wide angle lens I probably won't use very often. I can't find any comments on this lens' image quality.

I'd appreciate any info you might have.
For Tamron lenses this is the page to go to.....
http://www.adaptall-2.com/

If I'm not mistaken you are looking at one of the Adapt-a-matic lenses. I've owned one of these and it is a well made lens. There is some ghosting and flair with this lens but there is some with all lens...just a matter of degree really. This one was not objectionable in the least. Tamron decided early on to let any CA go in the less objectionable red spectrum and so this lens if there is any CA that shows when shooting back into brightly lit subjects will have a very faint redish CA. Supposedly this shows less than other colors of the spectrum. All in all a very well made and good performer. IQ was as good or better than the Takumars and a little better than the Vivitars and Sigmas I've owned. Very pleasing Bokeh..at least to my eyes.

Here are a couple of looks at it.
http://www.adaptall-2.com/
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/PFY-35Au.html

I hope this helps.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks, Dawg. The link was helpful.

I found a Tamron 24/2.5 I think I'll go for.

I suffer from OLBA (Old Lens Buying Addiction); I fool myself into thinking I save $$ this way. Not at all, I just have more marginal lenses, so I keep buying, thinking there's always the chance of stumbling onto the perfect, low cost lens!
dmartin@newarts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:24 PM   #4

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Dawg. The link was helpful.

I found a Tamron 24/2.5 I think I'll go for.

I suffer from OLBA (Old Lens Buying Addiction); I fool myself into thinking I save $$ this way. Not at all, I just have more marginal lenses, so I keep buying, thinking there's always the chance of stumbling onto the perfect, low cost lens!
HI, The Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses are usually good quality, they do need an adaptor specific to your camera so try to find a lens that already has the Pentax adaptor,

also bear in mind that the PK/A adaptors that allow auto metering just like an "A" lens bring very high prices, I regularly see them bring £60 - £70 here in the UK.

A word of caution also, it's not good practice to use your e-maill address as a name ... that's bait for spammers who trawl forums looking for live addresses, I'd

change that in your place. ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:07 PM   #5

Here is a helpful page on 3rd party lens. I too love the old screw mount lens. I'm looking for more Meyer Gorlitz ones to buy right now.

http://medfmt.8k.com/third/collecting.html

Dawg.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:33 PM   #6

Also keep in mind that 24mm is really not all that wide with the 1.5x crop factor. If you don't already have the 18-55mm kit lens that would be my first choice. You can get one on ebay in the $70 range and it really gives a good account of itself for the price.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:50 AM   #7

Default Found one of these with a strange mount

My first post here. Found the post searching for the usual

Yesterday I bought a bunch of old lenses that looks to be i great shape.
One of them was this incredibly handsome Auto Tamron 24mm Wide lens but the mount on it is really strange. To me at least ( noob )

It has the wordings; Pat-Pend, Made in Japan and K-A
It can easily be screwed off by hand. It is a Konica mount but is it possible to convert this to use on a Pentax DSLR?

If not, is there a second hand market for something like this? All though I would love to be able to use it-..
Attached Images

aliasant is offline   Reply With Quote