Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:54 PM   #11

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I have lenses from 18mm all the way to 500mm and have about decided to stay in the 50mm - 150mm range. Opinions and advice is welcome. Studio lighting is to be used indoors and my family room has 13 foot ceilings and is 20X30 feet in size so the distances is not an issue. Plenty of room there.

Dawg
Dawg

You have got me. I have not done any full blown studio portrait at all. I have been trying to get some portrait that I like with almost (but not quite) studio quality without the gear and fixed equipments.
For you setting with a huge room (20x30) , I will try something between 50mm -100mm (35-60mm in film).

Daniel

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:26 PM   #12

Daniel-

Thank you very much for two super portrait type photos. I don't know that they reallyhelp BigDwag a lot, but they are/wil bea challenge for him.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:22 AM   #13

Thanks Daniel.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:24 AM   #14

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Another thing Dawg, the backdrop is important. See the November Monthly Challenge. My Grandson is in front of some cheap cotton sheeting, almost 3 metres wide by 4 metres long. Cost $30, and i'm rigging up a roller whereby I can store it and convert room to studio in a couple of minutes.

cheers

bb2
BB2 the daughter is providing a backdrop and will leave it after the shoot. Thanks for the info though!

Dawg
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:25 AM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Daniel-

Thank you very much for two super portrait type photos. I don't know that they reallyhelp BigDwag a lot, but they are/wil bea challenge for him.

Sarah Joyce

That's what I need Sarah...more challenges..LOL

Dawg
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:39 PM   #16

Hi Dawg,

With that much room you might want to try the 135mm. you have enough room for foot zoom. Another thought would be to use one of your 50mm with a 1.4-2.0 teleconverter.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:03 PM   #17

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

With that much room you might want to try the 135mm. you have enough room for foot zoom. Another thought would be to use one of your 50mm with a 1.4-2.0 teleconverter.

Rudy
Thanks Rudy...I'll probably do them all.

Dawg
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:14 PM   #18
Super Moderator

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

Rudy
I'm really not convinced about using a TC for portrait work or for any reason really apart from not having long enough glass.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dawg as enough of a selection of glassto cover what is needed without dropping a TC on it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:18 AM   #19

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

Rudy
I'm really not convinced about using a TC for portrait work or for any reason really apart from not having long enough glass.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dawg as enough of a selection of glassto cover what is needed without dropping a TC on it.
Softness with a TC can be a + when shooting portraits, especially if the lens being used is very sharp and contrasty.

Dawg
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:35 PM   #20

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Softness with a TC can be a + when shooting portraits, especially if the lens being used is very sharp and contrasty.

Dawg
Dawg

The softness with a TC only comes with less dynamic range which for portrait will result in it being almost slightly washed out . The reduction of dynamic range can readily be seen in the histogram. With higher X factor (like 2X or 3x) the washed out effect is more pronounced. With quality prime lens it is less noticeable.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote