Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:26 AM   #21

@Dawg
I'd like to chime in here. PLEASE NO TC! You've got enough lenses to cover that range. Look for lenses with a smooth and pleasant bokeh, good color reproduction and detail. Then do the math and some tests and off you go.

Did I say you shouldn't use a TC? Ah well... ok. Just wanted to make sure that I don't forget to tell you this.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:42 AM   #22

BigDawg, for senior portraits it's of course best to use an old lens.(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:47 AM   #23

@Kjell
LOL!!!

@Dawg
Another thing to consider: even if the room is 20x30m (which is really huge) you won't get that room totake photos. With that in mind I started a little practical test this morning. I mounted a Pentax-A 28/2.8 lens on my DL2, put it on self timer and tried to get a portrait-like shot (head, parts of upper body) with me as my only model (I can't get my wife or daughter to do this, they think I am crazy to try this anyway). I hope you appreciate what I am going through here

The result: I had to get as close as 60-80cm to get a usable framing. I had to make sure the background was at least 1,5m behind me to blur it enough at f/2.8. With that in mind we talk about something like 2m (distance background - person) + 1m (distance person - camera) + 1m or more (photographer, additional stuff like lights etc.) = at least 4m "free room" for a very close shot. If you are going to take photos of the whole person (i.e. standing) or small groups (2-3 people) you'll need more distance. Of course you can bring some artificial backdrop etc. but still you'll need some free space.

Things will be easier if the background itself can be close to the person (i.e. you want it to be a clearly visible part of the image).

HTH,
Th.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:08 AM   #24

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
@Dawg
I'd like to chime in here. PLEASE NO TC! You've got enough lenses to cover that range. Look for lenses with a smooth and pleasant bokeh, good color reproduction and detail. Then do the math and some tests and off you go.

Did I say you shouldn't use a TC? Ah well... ok. Just wanted to make sure that I don't forget to tell you this.
Ah, TH. This just makes me want to use one, to disprove the conventional wisdom. LOL:?:?:?
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:11 AM   #25

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
BigDawg, for senior portraits it's of course best to use an old lens. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Kjell
Does this mean, my OLDEST or senior lens?? I have one from the early 1920's but haven't figured how to mount it to my camera.

Dawg
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:12 AM   #26

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Ah, TH. This just makes me want to use one, to disprove the conventional wisdom. LOL:??:?
Don't get me wrong on this, Iwon't say, that a TC is bad in general, I like to use my Vivitar 2x macro TC! But if you can cover the range without using a TC, this will make things easier and especially in the f-stop range you are going to work, you'll get better quality!

Also with a 2xTC a f/2.8 lens will become something like a f/5.6 "wide open", keep this in mind!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:15 PM   #27

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Ah, TH. This just makes me want to use one, to disprove the conventional wisdom. LOL:??:?
Don't get me wrong on this, Iwon't say, that a TC is bad in general, I like to use my Vivitar 2x macro TC! But if you can cover the range without using a TC, this will make things easier and especially in the f-stop range you are going to work, you'll get better quality!

Also with a 2xTC a f/2.8 lens will become something like a f/5.6 "wide open", keep this in mind!
Th....your leg has been firmly pulled!

Dawg
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:06 PM   #28

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg
Grrrr. :shock::idea::G
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:16 PM   #29

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg
Grrrr. :shock::idea::G
You got it!! No TC to be used here!!! LOL Just glad you have a sense of humor and were willing to steer me straight. Yer a good man Th.

Dawg