Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1

I have lenses from 18mm all the way to 500mm and have about decided to stay in the 50mm - 150mm range. Opinions and advice is welcome. Studio lighting is to be used indoors and my family room has 13 foot ceilings and is 20X30 feet in size so the distances is not an issue. Plenty of room there.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

There is no set range as it will depend on the effect you want, however generally to give a natural non distorted look then with a 1.5x crop a 60-70mm lens is a good place to start. Generally you will be stopped down so so sharpness is rarely a problem.

Most of my portrait work is done with full frame and a 24-105mm lens and I will usually be in the 50mm+ region

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:23 PM   #3

Portrait usually starts at 80-90mm analog (around 50mm with 1.5 crop factor) afaik. So your 50-150mm range sounds ok. Personally I would be very tempted to use my M-85/2 lens, but that's just me.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:24 PM   #4

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Portrait usually starts at 80-90mm analog (around 50mm with 1.5 crop factor) afaik. So your 50-150mm range sounds ok. Personally I would be very tempted to use my M-85/2 lens, but that's just me.
I've got two 100mm f/2.5&2.8 lens. Then I have several 135mm lens at f/2.5-f/3.5. I've got several. Well...5 really 70-210mm lens. I've also got a 50mm -150mm lens and 2 in the 24mm-80mm range and of course the 18-55 kit lens. Then I have 4 50mm lens in the f/1.4-f/2 range. I may just have to use each one in practice till I'm happy with one.

Dawg
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:01 PM   #5

Hi Dawg

I use my 28-70 F2.8 EX for portraits and group shots in doors, tending to use 70mm end on individuals.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:44 PM   #6

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg

I use my 28-70 F2.8 EX for portraits and group shots in doors, tending to use 70mm end on individuals.

cheers

bb2
Thanks BB2. I have a 28-70 but it is a f/3.5. I think I'll do the work and shoot with all of these to decide.

Dawg
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:50 PM   #7

Don't get nervous about the widest aperture of your lenses, TRY what you need. The funny thing is, I discuss those DOF stuff atm with Daniel here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

I think he's a good and experienced person to ask for advise when it comes to portraits, try to lure him to this thread and you'll have an expert at your side

It really depends on the focal length and the distance towards the object, get a feeling for DOF here: http://www.dofmaster.com

The amount of background blur is something that counts towards the aperture, too. The best idea is, to practice in advance to get a feeling for this.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:01 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Don't get nervous about the widest aperture of your lenses, TRY what you need. The funny thing is, I discuss those DOF stuff atm with Daniel here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

I think he's a good and experienced person to ask for advise when it comes to portraits, try to lure him to this thread and you'll have an expert at your side

It really depends on the focal length and the distance towards the object, get a feeling for DOF here: http://www.dofmaster.com

The amount of background blur is something that counts towards the aperture, too. The best idea is, to practice in advance to get a feeling for this.
Thanks Th. You are right, Daniel is very good at the portraits. I think he may eventually chime in but I'll let him decide whether he wants too or not. The DOF will be a vital part of this as the face itself is what should be the focus and not the surroundings.

Dawg
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:21 PM   #9

Another thing Dawg, the backdrop is important. See the November Monthly Challenge. My Grandson is in front of some cheap cotton sheeting, almost 3 metres wide by 4 metres long. Cost $30, and i'm rigging up a roller whereby I can store it and convert room to studio in a couple of minutes.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:43 PM   #10

Th , Dawg

Very nice to hear something like that even though it is kind of inflated. For me it is just fun.

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Another thing Dawg, the backdrop is important.

bb2
For backdrop , I will initially try simple light or something available all the time

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote