Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:47 PM   #11

Again, thanks for all the replies. I think I have narrowed down my selections, I will get the 18-55 & the Sigma 70-300 APO. Looked on PBase and checked out a lot of the photos there.

Only thing is I am assigned to Korea, and will not get home for 2 weeks. I bought the K10D on the way over hoping to find lenses here a bit cheaper than the US. Wrong!!!!!!

So now I have been sitting over here for 4 weeks, with no lens. Not too much fun, can only look at the body for so long!:G

Jeff
06 Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:54 PM   #12

Now that would be incredibly frustrating! I'm still planning on getting the Pentax DA 55-300 one of these days - judging by the comparison shots I've seen its better than either the Sigma or Tamron 70-300. Most people prefer the APO version of the lens and say it's worth the extra money.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:45 AM   #13

Hi 06goat

I recently bought a K20D (upgrading from DS). It came with a Pentax kit lens. While haggling over accessories, the salesman said "here have a Sigma kit lens for nothing!" So now have 3 kit lens'. Point is the kit lens is so cheap that you might talk your way into one for very little, even outside the US.

The Sigma and Pentax kit lens are very similar I think, but the Pentax barrell doesn't rotate while focussing facilitating use of a circular polarizing filter.

Until recently when our dollar went down in price, it was worthwhile ordering lenses from the US rather than buying locally!

Good luck

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:01 PM   #14

Beachboy 2 has a very good point, and I should have mentioned it in my earlier reply. The front element of the Sigma lens rotates while focusing, making use of a polarizer much more difficult. The front element of the Pentax lens does not rotate during focusing. This may or may not be significant for you. I also fully agree with Mtngal -- if you choose the Sigma, the APO version is definitely worth the slightly higher price. And remember -- if lighting conditions allow, try to close down the aperture when the lens is at its long end.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:21 PM   #15

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi 06goat

I recently bought a K20D (upgrading from DS). It came with a Pentax kit lens. While haggling over accessories, the salesman said "here have a Sigma kit lens for nothing!" So now have 3 kit lens'. Point is the kit lens is so cheap that you might talk your way into one for very little, even outside the US.

The Sigma and Pentax kit lens are very similar I think, but the Pentax barrell doesn't rotate while focussing facilitating use of a circular polarizing filter.

Until recently when our dollar went down in price, it was worthwhile ordering lenses from the US rather than buying locally!

Good luck

bb2
Beachboy2, I am ex-Brisbane boy, born and raised,living inUS now. So yes, I know how much the dollar has tanked recently. Last time I was home it was around .90.

Anyway, thanks for the info about the barrells, but I think being new to the DSLR I will worry about that later. When I get confident and step up to that 2.8 lens or better then I guess I will be ready for all that. Probably come around sooner than I expect, but then I guess I will have a hardly used Sigma to sell.

Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:15 AM   #16

Hello,

Not sure how relevent my comment may be.

I'm a newbie to digital and just trying to figure things out.

I went with a Sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3 lens because I was able to get it for ~$375cdn w. tax and shipping and because I wanted to be able to use this camera as a point-and-shoot with friends and family shooting so I didn't want to be changing lenses all the time. [Plus, I really haven't started thinking about composition or anything like that so I don't really have a strong idea of what lens to put on the camera, so having the wide range is helping me there. I just keep zooming in and out until I see something I like.]

And . . . I am pretty happy with the quality I am getting out of the lens. For portrait shots with off-camera flash I am really happy with the detail I am getting and in fact having to soften the images sometimes. & I've learned on Photoshop how to compensate for the corners of the image going dark.

I'm sure the quality is not as good as some more limited zooms or primes, but I've definately got my ~$375 worth out of the lens.

The only thing about this lens is the slowness. [ie. at 200mm - F6.3] which affects autofocus and motion blur.If I seriously wanted to do some low-light or indoor shooting (like sports events or something like that) this is not the lens to do that. (I compensate by using flash, but you're not always allowed to do that.)

Choosing this lens has been one of the decisions I've made that I've actually been happy with!

I like the lens enough that I'm not thinking of replacing it anytime in the near future.

Instead, the money I'm saving up will go to a better flash unit. (Or the Pentax 10-17 Fisheye lens). That looks like a fun lens to have!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:44 PM   #17

Harriet's comments about the kit lens are to the point. That lens is well matched to the K10D - any weakneses it might have might be more evident with the higher resolution sensor of the K20D. The IQ has surprised many of its users, to judge from comments on these forums.

The DA55-300 is a faster and more accurate focussing lens than others I have used in the same focal length and price range, and another point that has not been mentioned here is that it has some sort of clutch mechanism that allows manual focus while the camera is set for autofocus - you do not have to shift the camera to manual or flip a switch on the lens (there is none) to touch up focus manually - a very useful feature, especially in close focus range - and it does have a decent close focussing ability. This feature allows it to be faster in operation than either a fully manual or fully automatic lens in many situations, and to me, for this alone, has been worth the extra few dollars. I can't speak to the Sigma, but I am sure the recommendations regarding the APO version are correct, as such lenses generally have less chromatic aberration, and should be at least somewhat sharper than an otherwise identical non-APO lens.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:15 PM   #18

Ordered the 18-55 kit lens online so should have it when I get home. Will play with this over Christmas, then decide on which zoom to purchase. Leaning back towards the 55-300 and that is more than likely the one I will pull the trigger on.