Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:41 AM   #1

Alright, new member here. I had to finally join this forum as I am totally confused. I have been reading as a guest trying to figure out which lens to buy. I purchased a K10D body with the intent of buying the 18-55 lens. But after reviewing these posts I am leaning now towards the Tamron 17-70. Of course that is for now, after I read some more tonight, I will want something else. Anyway is the 17-70 that much better than the 18-55 kit lens?

The next purchase will be the 55-300.

Jeff
06 Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:17 AM   #2

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Tamron makes a 17-50 and Sigma makes a 17-70 lens. I don't own either but I do own a Pentax DA 18-55 kit lens and will keep it as it does such a good job. I'm sure there are others out there that have a better IQ but this lens is about as much bang for the buck you will find. A lot of folks are unloading them very cheap on Ebay and I plan on getting another before they start to disappear.

Here is a photo taken with mine.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3

Welcome!

It partly depends on what you are planning on using the lens for. I have the 18-55 kit lens and thought it was fine when I was shooting with the K10. I can see it's limitations with the K20, but it's still not a bad lens. However, it's not a "fast" lens so if you are going to be taking pictures inside without a flash, there are probably better options. If you are looking for a good walk-about lens for outside, then it would work quite nicely. And you can't beat the price!

Since you are planning on getting the 55-300 fairly soon, you don't really need the extra focal length between 55 and 70.

I haven't used the Tamron 17-70 (or the Pentax, for that matter, since I still own a K100) so I really don't know if it's worth the extra cost.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses, Dawg and mtngal I have read many of your posts and replies and I feel that given your expertise, I will probably get the 18-55 and see how it performs. This is my first DSLR, so I am sure that there will be many more lens purchases in the future.

Dawg if I can get anywhere near the quality of your attached photo I will be very pleased!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:27 PM   #5

06 Goat wrote:
Quote:
Alright, new member here. I had to finally join this forum as I am totally confused. I have been reading as a guest *trying to figure out which lens to buy. I purchased a K10D body with the intent of buying the 18-55 lens. But after reviewing these posts I am leaning now towards the Tamron 17-70. Of course that is for now, after I read some more tonight, I will want something else. Anyway is the 17-70 that much better than the 18-55 kit lens?

The next purchase will be the 55-300.

Jeff
Maybe you can have a look of Sigma 24-60mmF2.8. But it is less wide than the kit lens at 18mm.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27649564

A lot of images from this lens

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:38 PM   #6

I have an 18-55 for my K10D and it really does depend on what you want to use it for.

It is too soft and fuzzy around the edges for serious landscape work, but as Dawg's example shows, it is very good in the centre, so a good portrait lens for the money.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:24 PM   #7

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Maybe you can have a look of Sigma 24-60mmF2.8. But it is less wide than the kit lens at 18mm.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27649564
Quote:
Daniel
you're daniel,
i use the kit lens quite abit.
for my walk around i use the smcA35-105/3.5.....

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:48 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the responses, I was worried that the 18-55 comparison would have been run to the end by now. As I said in my original post, I would probably change my mind after reading more opinions! Now I am not sure on whether it will be the 55-300 or the Sigma 70-300 APO. I am not sure but I think it is 3.5-5.3? Saw that the internet prices on the Sigma would be hard to pass up.

Well until I change again, what is the latest on these lenses?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:34 AM   #9

I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG which I use on my K-100D, and my wife has the Pentax 55-300 which she uses on ther K-200D. I think the Sigma is a very good lens, and for the money it's a great deal. With the 6 MP sensor on my K-100, I have never found it to be lacking. But you have the K10d, which has the same sensor as my wife's K-200, and I have to say that with 50% greater resolution, the Sigma reveals itself to be somewhat soft when we've put it on my wife's camera. In my opinion at least, the Pentax 55-300 isa solid notch above the Sigma.

I'm not saying the Sigma is a bad lens -- it's a very good lens, and as I've already said, it's a great value for the money. But in my viewthe Pentax is even better. Whether the Pentax is worth the extra money is a judgement that only you can decide. If you go with the Sigma, try to keep it at f 8 or f 11 when shooting at 300 mm. There is a noticeable drop in sharpness when it's wide open at the long end. On a bright sunny day that's not a problem, but in dim light, it can make shooting more difficult.

It's not an easy decision -- good luck.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10

06 Goat wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to all for the responses, I was worried that the 18-55 comparison would have been run to the end by now. As I said in my original post, I would probably change my mind after reading more opinions! Now I am not sure on whether it will be the 55-300 or the Sigma 70-300 APO. I am not sure but I think it is 3.5-5.3? Saw that the internet prices on the Sigma would be hard to pass up.

Well until I change again, what is the latest on these lenses?
We got the 55-300 back in the summer with our vacation to Alaska and my addiction to moving airplanes in mind. It worked out great in Alaska IMHO. For airshows, it is good but I still need to use it more for a final grade.

There are a number of shots from AK here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

There are a few shots from the Dayton Air show here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote