Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:50 PM   #1

spiratone w/2x TC
someone on the kiron users posted THIS. hopefully it's not anyone here.. guess there's a chump born everyday..
i know people that have bought this for under <$30usd...
they also say it's a pretty lens for the price..

be carefull newbs ask here first

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:12 PM   #2

robar wrote:
Quote:
spiratone w/2x TC
someone on the kiron users posted THIS. hopefully it's not anyone here.. guess there's a chump born everyday..
i know people that have bought this for under <$30usd...
they also say it's a pretty lens for the price..

be carefull newbs ask here first

roy
Jeez what a piece of trash that add was. I bet his pants are on fire and he sells used pacemakers to the elderly.

Newbies...Listen to Roy...ask here first!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:34 PM   #3

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I recall an eBay ad for an item listed as "The worst lens ever made." The ad copy was hilarious -- I wish I could find it now. The seller listed in great detail all the optical flaws it had (which were many), then listed possible reasons someone might want to buy it. Among those reasons: you need a new paperweight; you want to help me clear some junk from my closets; etc. etc. etc.

The ad ran more than a year ago, and I cannot find it or even ant reference to it. (I admit, I only did a very brief search.) It may still be available in some remote corner of the internet. But believe me, it was funny. I don't recall if the seller got any bids.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:53 AM   #4

mtnman wrote:
Quote:
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I recall an eBay ad for an item listed as "The worst lens ever made." The ad copy was hilarious -- I wish I could find it now. The seller listed in great detail all the optical flaws it had (which were many), then listed possible reasons someone might want to buy it. Among those reasons: you need a new paperweight; you want to help me clear some junk from my closets; etc. etc. etc.

The ad ran more than a year ago, and I cannot find it or even ant reference to it. (I admit, I only did a very brief search.) It may still be available in some remote corner of the internet. But believe me, it was funny. I don't recall if the seller got any bids.
I remember that one...Nearly bid on it to see how bad it really was.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:09 PM   #5

Hey it is not all that bad - it is in Australian dollars - at the current exchange rate that is only about $600 US! This guy is probably one of those recently laid off used car salesmen trying to make a buck the only way he knows how. Some of those (originally) inexpensive long telephotos actually had pretty decent IQ because of their relatively simple optical formulas - I used a 400 mm Telesar for years and never had a complaint, except it was slow to meter and focus manually. Should easily be worth 30 bucks today. That guy must think the time he spent making up that sales pitch is worth a few hundred an hour - you'd be paying for his time and verbal skills, not for the lens. :P
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:12 PM   #6

i bought a lens for about $7 delivered and it was so full of fungus you could barely see thru it. it was a zoom and i took it apart and found out that i need to stay away from dismantling zooms.. i offered the pieces on ebay as a basket case and needless to say no one wanted it it..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote