Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:07 PM   #21

Try these Roy!

This is the complete rig, minus the camera of course! The focus handle is the one on the left.

This is a view where the focus control connects to the lens. The curved 'springs' are curtain wire though cables from bicycles might have been neater. Wires, which are stainless steel fishing trace, are passed through the curtain wire and passed around the lens focus grip, the two ends of the wires have a small loop swaged on (that is a simple task using the clips and a strong set of pliers) and the wires kept taut by a short coil spring. The small brackets which hold the ends of the curtain wire are positioned so that as near as practical the wires pull against each other and dont put a downward weight on the focus helix.

This is an underside shot and shows how the two curtain wires are routed under the frame.

..And here we have the wires coming forward and around the metal wheel attached to thefocus handle. There is a screw in thewheel which grips the wire and stops it from slipping.

The handle is attached to the frameby a small bearing which allows the handle to betwisted. Twisting the handle pulls the wire and as thewire passes around the lens focus grip it too rotates and so focus is obtainable by twisting this handle.

It is not perfect although the cable scheme is better than I expected having absolutely not back lash and very smooth in operation. The only downside is that it is easy to move the lens off focus when pulling the rig tight into the shoulder at the moment of taking the shot.

This is the Russian Foto Snaiper, I have one of these too thoughthis is not my picture. You can see the thumb operated focus wheel under the front of the lens. This is effective but not near as good as my system, IMHO.:-)

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:59 AM   #22

thanks john,
do you have larger images??
i can't tell anything from these.

if you want to email them to

roysphoto @ gmail.com

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:25 PM   #23

Roy, I dont have the original pictures where I am today but I have added descriptions to the pictures which may make it clearer.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:52 PM   #24

john,
thanks.. i can see exactly what it does. from just messing around i think i'd put it on the rear handle.

the way it's configured is starting at the front of the lens is forward hande, lense, rear handle..

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 3:28 AM   #25

Well Roy if you can find a way to use the curtain wire/cable system you can put the focus handle or knob anywhere convenient. It might be good to have the focus control on the rear handle, I have not tried it.