Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:50 AM   #1

Hi,
today arrived an early christmas parcel containing a fully manual Vivitar 24mm f/2 lens and of course I had to take some test photos. I'll share these as this or a similar lens might be interesting for some of you, too

The lens looks good with the slightest signs of normal usage, mounts and dismounts correctly to and from my DL2, serial number starts with 28 - so this is a Komine made lens afaik.

The photos were taken in RAW and converted with Raw Therapee, minimal luma noise reduction and a tad local contrast enhancement used - and of course some exposure compensation, but no other postprocessing to increase sharpness or detail. So these are almost 1:1 straight from the camera. I combined the downsized image and some 1:1 crops.

#1 - first ever shot with the lens, wide open
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:57 AM   #2

#2 - my cat (this was mainly a fun shot, but it shows a more "real life" situation) - again wide open.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:01 AM   #3

#3 gingerbread castle with small figurines, upper left is wide open, upper right at f/2.8, the lower one at f/2.4 (the aperture has "half" settings, so I guess between f/2 and f/2.8 is f/2.4?)

Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:03 AM   #4

#4 magazine shot, upper row is a 1:1 crop at f/2, f/2.4, f/2.8

Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:05 AM   #5

#5 washing agent bottle, upper row: at f/2 and f/2.8

Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:13 AM   #6

Overall feeling so far:

- wide open shots are soft and miss some contrast, but there are already a lot of details available
- things start to get much better even when stopping down just to f/2.4, images are tack sharp and contrasty at f/2.8

One of the best things is, how I won this lens - it was VERY close to say the least, here is how the bidding went. And yes - 52.52 was my high bid :G:blah:!!

So far I am happy!

Regards,
Th.

P.S. I almost cleared my lens wishlist with this, I'll sort the tele end in the near future (selling some stuff and trying to get a decent/affordable 200mm and/or 300mm prime in 2009 or 2010) and if I stumble across a real wide fisheye lens I'd be tempted to try it. As most of my lenses are manual by that time I'll have to sort out the "fully automatic, family-ready, walkaround zoom" thingie and the flash problem and I am set. After that I can start to save for a better body sounds good, doesn't it?
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:10 AM   #7

With some basic postprocessing the cat looks like this, which isn't bad at all for a f/2 wide open shot. I'll try to do some cat shots with f/2.8-f/4 to show the differences later.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8

The lens at 2.8 is very good - even 2.0 is useable in a pinch. You can deal with the lack of contrast through pp easily and the softness isn't as bad as some lenses I've seen. It looks like an excellent buy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:31 PM   #9

As a (Bargain)LBA I am SO jealous.

I am awaiting a Tamron 24mm/2.5 I paid more for! Ouch.
dmartin@newarts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:57 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The lens at 2.8 is very good - even 2.0 is useable in a pinch. You can deal with the lack of contrast through pp easily and the softness isn't as bad as some lenses I've seen. It looks like an excellent buy.
@mtngal
Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the first results. As someone that doesn't use the in-camera flash very often, I like fast lenses. The shortest prime I've got so far was the Pentax-A 28/2.8, but I was looking for something wider. I am a bit concerned about these "halo"-like effects wide open, but I'll see where this really hurts and where not.

The f/2.8 performance is exactly what I was looking for - as a first guess I'll use the lens mostly in that range: f/2.8...f/4 and that means it is already stopped down twice as a minimum!

My only complaint: a 52mm filter thread... I mounted a spare UV-Filter already, but have no polarizer and I bet this lens could give me some nice architecture and landscape shots...

Quote:
As a (Bargain)LBA I am SO jealous.
I am awaiting a Tamron 24mm/2.5 I paid more for! Ouch.
@dmartin
Well - I lost most of my bids in ebay in 2008, the only exception being a Viv 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens and the above one. What bothered me most, is that I had to let go some Tamron Adaptall "A" adapters as the asked price or the bids were insane... but I've got time... no Tamron lens in my collection so far, I managed to bid "around" this

As for the 24/2.5 Tamron - that one and one of the tele primes (200mm, 300mm) are what the adapter would have been for - so I think you'll get a fine lens! For me the f/2 adds just a special something to that lens as I seldom use flash and then every tiny bit makes a difference.

Best regards,
Th.