Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:09 PM   #1

IQ 18-250 lens

I would really like some input on this lens, as it has for a while, been itching me for some time now.

- getting tired of hauling around two lenses
- tired of switching lenses, to get the shot i want
- tired of missing the shot i wanted cause i was switching lenses
- not interested in taking photos for Natgeo or equilivent
- past reviews gave this lens a good outdoor rating

So i ask

1 - would this lens be good for use outdoors and indoors use my 360 external flash

OR

2 - should i just use my 16-50 and just crop to suit as if it was a 16-250

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2008, 2:15 PM   #2

Yeah.

You could always crop in (which is how I currently justify not getting anything longer than 200mm), but from 50mm to 250mm, wouldn't that be a big difference in perspective? [IE. You lose the compression effect of a longer focal length?]

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:06 AM   #3

Hi Dave,

To me that is too big of a range for a zoom. I use a 28-200mm. I have not missed any shots with it.

I do landscape and ski jumping with it. If I need wider I have the kit lens for that. For longer I use my 70-300mm.

I know you said you wanted just one lens, But one lens is not a good solution to me.

Just my opinion, but at least two lenses are better. Just a little more work.....:G

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:32 AM   #4

If you have a 10M pixel shot at 50mm, and you crop it to look like a 250mm, then because you crop 4/5 of the shot from both the length and width, you will end up with a 0.4 M pixel shot.

Is that what you need?
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:17 AM   #5

I don't have the DA 18-250mm, but like you I have considered it for the same reasons. Particularly when you are in a windy, dusty environment - don't want to be changing lenses in those conditions.

There are some user reviews here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...305&cat=43

I have read that the Pentax version is essentially the same as the Tamron 18-250mm Di II LD, but I can't verify that. But here are some user reviews for the Tamron version which I think can be found cheaper than the Pentax: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userrevi...344&cat=76

Pbase is asearchable source for looking at photos. You can look up photos by camera or lens: Here is link to Pentax DA 18-250mm: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/...a_18_250_35_63

You can also find photos taken with the Tamron version on the Pbase site.

Good luck, and let us know what you think if you get one.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:17 PM   #6

In the final analysis, it is the real world performance of a lens that counts, and the user opinions in the links cited above (plus published reviews) certainly demonstrate that this is a fine lens for general all-around use, best in the near and mid-ranges. There is a caveat, though: If, however, you have more demanding requirements - at the long end end in particular - you might wish to look at other options. In this month's Modern Photography there is a review of the newer Tamron 18-270, performance of which they found nearly identical to the 18-250, which shows that the performance at the longer end is decidedly soft - so much so that they expressed the opinion that for critical users, this might prove a "deal breaker". This review is not yet posted on their web site, but you might wish to take a look at the resolution charts in their review of the Tamron 18-250 (http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-ii-macro.html ) and the Pentax 55-300 ( http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...0mm-f4-58.html ) in which they have comments comparing that lens with the Pentax 18-250 (same lens as the Tamron). There are situations in which I could find the 18-250 useful, but I am now so satisfied so far with the two lens combination of the kit lens and the 55-300 that, (plus with the other lenses I have accumulated along the way) I could not justify the cost of the 18-250 merely as a convenience for occasional use. Now if someone wanted to give me one . . . . :roll:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:23 PM   #7

Just a thought, but if you've already got two good lenses, and your only complaint is having to switch lenses ...

A new K200D body isn't a lot more expensive than the 18-250. Why not buy a second body for the second lens? You'll get better image quality, and you'll definately look cooler with two dSLRs instead of just one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:21 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Just a thought, but if you've already got two good lenses, and your only complaint is having to switch lenses ...

A new K200D body isn't a lot more expensive than the 18-250. Why not buy a second body for the second lens? You'll get better image quality, and you'll definately look cooler with two dSLRs instead of just one.
And carrying two camera bodies isn't a big deal with a camera strap that's designed for two cameras. I have one and was surprised how it made it easier to juggle two cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:51 PM   #9

so ther i was about to press the order button on Amazon for the 18-250 lens , then i paused. i will need a low light lens to go with that , then i pause again, but then i would be back to 2 lenses again duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Its a no win situation

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:40 PM   #10

Yeah.

But, it will be a different. Instead of scrambling between focal-lengths to grab a shot, you're switching lenses because it's too dark for the 18-250 to auto-focus quickly.

For the most part, I just have my Sigma 18-200 on the camera. That way I'm not switching lenses for focal length when shooting family & friends.

Only when I get into trouble with the auto-focus not working [ie. At a friends house and it gets dark and they don't have a lot of lights in the room.]I toss on my Pentax 28-80 to be able to auto focus in low light. And then I just keep that lens on for the rest of the night.

Not a lot of switching. Or at least a different type of switching.

I just figured out this set-up a month ago, but the few times I've been out, it's worked for me! I'm glad I got a super-zoom (ie. Sigma 18-200) & just have the cheap Pentax 28-80 (3.5-5.6?) for back-up in low-light.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote