Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:59 PM   #1

Found this lens in an old desk drawer. Thinking about selling it on eBay. Does anyone have an opinion about how much it's worth? If anything?

It's in near-mint condition... doesn't even look like it's been used.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2

There is one going on Ebay right now. Look at it then do a search there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-F-70-210mm-1-4-5-6-for-K20d-K10d-k-ist_W0QQitemZ290290781917QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera _Lenses?hash=item290290781917&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1 |240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3

It's one of the best zooms made by Pentax (not counting the *-series), and pretty sought after. I've got two, just in case I loose one. It shouldn't go for less than 125 USD.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:03 PM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
There is one going on Ebay right now. Look at it then do a search there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-F-70-...3%3A1|294%3A50
Looks like the same lens, except the one I have has never been used. Thanks for the link, it's a great starting point.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5

Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
It's one of the best zooms made by Pentax (not counting the *-series), and pretty sought after. I've got two, just in case I loose one. It shouldn't go for less than 125 USD.

Kjell
$125 USD? Wow. I wonder if it's really worth that much. The member above posted a link for the same lens selling for $72 USD. Although, that eBay description reads like it's a bit inflated. This is not a DSLR lens. Although it might be compatible, that ad doesn't ring completely true.

Of course I might know zero about Pentax lenses...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:56 AM   #7

Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
This is not a DSLR lens.
what's a DSLR lens when dealing with a DSLR pentax camera.. just one of the newer ones that are not compatible with a full frame slr..
i don't know a lot about the lens but i do know the A70-210/4 is one of the best around.. pentax saved some money on this lens by a loss of 1 f-stop..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:42 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
This is not a DSLR lens.
what's a DSLR lens when dealing with a DSLR pentax camera.. just one of the newer ones that are not compatible with a full frame slr..
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying.

My point about it not being a DSLR lens might be a non-issue. I only meant that it's been tucked away ina drawer for 10 years, since before digital photography became so popular. But maybe lenses are interchangable and it would fit on either a film or digital SLR camera. I have no idea.

I'm trying to geta feel for how much it's worth.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:56 AM   #9

Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

Kjell
$125 USD? Wow. I wonder if it's really worth that much. The member above posted a link for the same lens selling for $72 USD. Although, that eBay description reads like it's a bit inflated. This is not a DSLR lens. Although it might be compatible, that ad doesn't ring completely true.

Any Pentax lensworks well onDSLR, even the screw mount ones with an adapter. The F series are fully compatible with all functions on all Pentax DSLRs. So the ad is not inflated at all, this lens is preferred by many because it has a very high build quality, mostly metal. And the optics are a bit better than some newer siblings like FA 70-200. Robar is right, the manual focus A 70-210 might be a tad bit better still but is more common on ebay and lacks autofocus. So it sells at lower prices than the F variety you have.

The ad price right now is 72 USD with some days to go, and from a seller from Portugal. That might make some possible buyers hesitate. Wait and see the end price, you can't judge that until the second the auction is over. Many bidders wait till last instant, and the price might double during the last minute.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:23 PM   #10

It really comes down to how many bidders look at the lens.

In the last couple of months, there were several Pentax-A 70-210 f4 going for around £80 and all sold.

Although I wanted one for the continous aperature, I held out and got one for £31 delivered. Not only that, but it is totally mint, in the box with all the original documention, warranty card etc.

I think this was mainly due to the finish time, which was when most people are out.

You may get a pleasant surprise when you sell, just time it right and hope more than one person wants it.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote