Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:41 AM   #1

Strange problem developed tonight....looking for any suggestions. I tried to use my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM tonight in each of the AF modes....it kept reading MF on my K20.....tried cleaning contacts....no luck....all my other lenses focus perfectly on the K20

Took the lens home, tried it on my K10....function is perfect....

Any ideas?

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:32 AM   #2

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Strange problem developed tonight....looking for any suggestions. I tried to use my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM tonight in each of the AF modes....it kept reading MF on my K20.....tried cleaning contacts....no luck....all my other lenses focus perfectly on the K20

Took the lens home, tried it on my K10....function is perfect....

Any ideas?

Paul
Paul,

That is weird. At least the lens works for your K10D. See if you can get it going on other sdm bodies/
How would like to rate the lens except for this odd glitch?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:14 AM   #3

The lens has been wonderful until the problem developed last night. This morning, I went back to to again try the DA*50-135, and it showed the same symptoms. Other AF lenses focus perfectly, so I've got to conclude that the problem is with the SDM/HSM contacts on the camera. That sound logical?

Paul
Old Jan 31, 2009, 2:55 PM   #4

Does sound like something is going on with the camera, the fact that two different lenses are showing the problem. Did cleaning the contacts on the camera help? Also try changing the mode lever through it's settings (AFS, AFC, MF) to see if the lever got bumped off just enough to confuse the camera. Beyond that, I don't know.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:29 PM   #5

Hi Paul,

A couple of other suggestions would be to make sure the battery is fully charged, leave the battery out of the camera for 24 hours to allow a reset, and do a full reset to default in the custom menu, not necessarily in any order.

It does sound as if it's a problem with your K20 body, but it's usually a good idea to try just about everything to track down the problem before handing it over to Pentax service.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, Harriet and Scott. Harriet, I did multiple cleanings of all the contacts and tried every shooting mode, AF mode, just about anything I could adjust.

Scott, I'll try both the factory reset and leaving the battery out for 24 hours. I have to shoot tomorrow with other lenses, but I'll let you know if it works early in the week.

Thanks for the ideas. All other ideas are welcome.

Paul
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:52 PM   #7

Update on the situation, which continues to be confusing. Scott, I took your suggestion and took the battery out of the camera last night, although I wasn't able to keep it down the full 24 hours, then put it back in this morning. I also did a Reset Values in the custom menu.

Now, the Pentax DA*50-135 works fine, but the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 does not, although it works fine on my K10.

I'm going to repeat the process with the battery, but this time I'll be able to let it stay down for the full 24 hours....see if that does anything.

Paul
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:31 AM   #8

Hate to ask here Paul...but have you tried the Pentax helpline? They may have documented an instance or two of this and know exactly what is going on.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:04 PM   #9

I called Pentax, and they said it appears that the SDM interface has gone bad. The reason the DA*50-135 is working is that it is a dual drive lens rather than one that depends entirely on the SDM motor.

So, it looks like the K20 will be heading back to Pentax. However, it'll have to wait till after an early March wedding. I just won't be able to use the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM on the K20 till then.

Paul
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:42 PM   #10

Arrrrh! Frustrating! At least you can still use the camera, and you can always put the camera in manual focus and use the Sigma as an A lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote