Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:49 PM   #11

danielchtong wrote:

Scott

Congratulation . Can't wait to see¬* the weather clears out and you do some comparison. I would love to own just one of them.¬* Call me envious
[/quote]

Hi Daniel,

I've wanted this lens since I discovered I can actually physically handle this class of lens, but as I've said, this is about as big as I can go. Now I'm really looking forward to the winter being over.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:19 PM   #12

robar wrote:
Quote:
hey scott,
i use a knock off of this..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ty_Gimbal.html
it works just fine. i get clear and sharp images with tammy300/2.8 with the 200f/2x (600/5.6) converter installed.. here's another link also.
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...393/393_1.html
i'm sure it's as good as the kimberly at less than 1/2 the price.. i bought mine from a copier at $75.. it had problems tho.. basicly they were design flaws but i fixed them and it's good as gold now.. i don't think they are selling them any more..
here's a link to a DIY link.. it would not be hard to do this.. i've probably got most of the parts onhand and may give it a try..
http://www.chem.uky.edu/xray/people/...ad/gimbal.html
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the links. I already knew about the Manfrotto. I've been doing research on gimbals for quite a while now, and have a pretty good handle on what's available. For me, the Manfrotto is just too heavy and big. I realize that many good shooters are very happy with them, but I'm really pushing my limits in the weight I can handle on an everyday basis with the FA*.

The DIY looks very interesting, but I've decided to take advantage of Wimberley's 60 day free trial and try out a Sidekick -- only about 1 lb -- and with any of my heads that are suitable, only about 2 lbs, and considerably more compact to carry and store. I had always thought that the idea of having to add the Sidekick to an existing ballhead was strange. . .but now it makes a lot more sense, and I'll be interested in seeing how this works for me. If nothing else, I'll be able to examine how they make theirs and take advantage of their experience to design my own. Plus they have an A-S clamp that's designed to replace the QR on my Manfrotto 468MG RC2, which I've been wanting to do since switching over to A-S style QRs.

My limited contact with them tells me that they are a really good company to deal with, and If I end up buying something, with this economic climate, I'd rather support an American mfg if I can . . .it may be just a relatively minor thing, but it's becoming a priority consideration for me.

Scott
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:40 AM   #13

Wow. I am jealous. But then... I decided that I only buy lenses that go easily in my travel backpack, so I'll enjoy the photos taken with such monsters - already keen on seeing some of yours

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure that this will be my last lens. . .
Ya, sure! You betcha!. :lol: There will NEVER be such a thing as "the last lens."
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:14 PM   #15

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Wow. I am jealous. But then... I decided that I only buy lenses that go easily in my travel backpack, so I'll enjoy the photos taken with such monsters - already keen on seeing some of yours
Hi Th,

Thanks for looking in. It seems that I'm primarily interested in lenses that don't fit into any reasonable case. . . :-) Warmer weather's coming. . . I think!:-?
Hopefully you'll see lots from this lens and a couple of TCs in the coming months.

Scott

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure that this will be my last lens. . .
Ya, sure! You betcha!. :lol: There will NEVER be such a thing as "the last lens."
Hi penolta,

I knew I shouldn't have said that! :roll: . . . matter of fact, I had to think long and hard today when a local dealer offered me a brand new Sigma 10-20 for $460. . . I luckily had an attack of reality, and decided to pass. . .

. . . but if it had been a DA 12-24 for that price, reality would have taken a back seat methinks :evil::O

I must admit that I'm expecting delivery on a Wimberley Sidekick, Wimberley flash mount, and a few other toys as a result of buying this lens, so my bank account is far from safe. . .

Thanks for looking in and delivering the reality check. . .

I feel better now:crazy:

Scott