Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:59 AM   #21

Yes and I believe I stated that above. With most screw mount lens I have found that it will work. I've used it on several TX and T4 mount Vivitar lens with a screw mount lens mount adapter and a M42 to k mount adapter added. I also use it regularly on my Meyer - Gorlitz 300mm f/4 Orestegor lens with very good results. As I said above the Sigma will not fit a lot of lens but it will fit some. Caution should be used when trying it with a lens as the lens elements could bump into each other and cause damage. Please read all of a post before commenting .

Dawg

Quote:
The Sigma TC has a lens element that sticks out and can interfere with some lens. The Bigma can only zoom down to 100mm with it attached as the lens element will bumb if I try to go lower. The M42 lens like the Meyer 300mm f/4 have a large enough opening and the back lens element is recessed enough so the Sigma TC can be used with the M42's with an adapter to mate it to the P/K mount on the TC.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:22 AM   #22

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Please read all of a post before commenting .
Thank you for commenting.

I was providing a link to some reference material supporting your point.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:05 AM   #23
dkm

I understand. Okay, I have saved all of the wonderful information you provided to me. My 68th birthday is in June and I can think of no better way to reward myself for surviving that long, provided I do, LOL, than to purchase the Sigma 50-500 lens and T-con!!

Now, off to begin checking on reputable sellers in the event the lens would be problematic and need to be returned. Hopefully that would not occur.

Thanks again Bigdawg.
dkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:11 PM   #24

TCav wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Please read all of a post before commenting .
Thank you for commenting.

I was providing a link to some reference material supporting your point.

Thank you for doing that. It is a truth that the Sigma TC was an ill conceived idea by Sigma. Rather than have a TC usable by all lens..they decided to make it a proprietary TC. Matched mainly to their lenses and not even all of them. As seen here in this photo the lens element mount closest to the lens to be used with the TC protrudes slightly higher than the outer edges of the TC. This makes it almost impossible to use with a wide range of lenses. Most of the screw mount Takumars and Super Takumars cannot be used with it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:17 PM   #25

Here is a TX lens mount adapter made by Vivitar. As you can see looking inside it has clearance for the lens element mount of the Sigma TC. Sadly for us Pentax users that own TX or T4 lenses the screw mount lens mount adapter is the only one with this clearance. This means all T4 and TX Vivitar lenses can be used with it but only with manual stop down...no open aperture metering or focus.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:22 PM   #26

A couple of lens...one a TX and one a T4 using the same TX M42 screw mount lens mount adapter with the Sigma APO TC attached.

First a T4 Vivitar 55-135 lens

Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:23 PM   #27

Next a TX Vivitar 300mm f/5.6
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:32 PM   #28

I follow the advice my father gave me and repeated over and over my entire life. CAN"T never could and WON'T will never try. I have a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 A lens group 3 and by careful trying I found it will mount to the Sigma teleconverter and allow full function of the A setting.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:37 PM   #29

Now when I purchase a used lens the first thing I do is try the Sigma teleconverter to see if it is a fit. When I bought the Meyer Gorlitz 300mm f/4 lens I tried it and it works very well.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:42 PM   #30

A couple of photos with it.
Attached Images