Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:53 PM   #11

The right combination of teleconverters and lenses can yield pretty impressive results. This is a full-frame shot of the moon, no cropping, with a Sigma 50-500mm lens and stacked 1.4X and 2.0X Sigma APO teleconverters. (effective 35mm focal length 2100mm with crop factor) The Sigma 2.0X teleconverter is strictly manual focus with long lenses because of light loss.

I'm glad I have both of mine, but I have to admit their use is limited because of the light-loss issue.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:19 AM   #12

The Processing you have done certainly improves the Picture.I suspect the mist look was due to windows I have to get my wife to clean them!.

I struggle with lens shake at high lengths.Any advice other rhan tripods and remote shutter release.
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:13 AM   #13

Gary Smith wrote:
Quote:
The Processing you have done certainly improves the Picture.I suspect the mist look was due to windows I have to get my wife to clean them!.

I struggle with lens shake at high lengths.Any advice other rhan tripods and remote shutter release.
I either sit down or lean back against a wall or fence or post to steady the camera. I usually shoot with the 50-500mm Bigma lens and it and the camera weigh enough to give an inertial effect..IE..they are heavy enough to need some effort to get them moving. Light weight lenses and cameras will shake from nothing more than the blood pumping in your veins. Also I practice every day in shooting without a tripod and with this K10D have shot more than 100,000 photos mostly hand held. The practice has done wonders for my hand held photography. Here is one I shot yesterday. It is a crop of a photo taken from around 25 feet distance. I was sitting in my porch rocker when I took it.

Dawg

Oh yeah...if you use a tripod be sure to turn the AS off as it could cause some shake when used with a tripod.

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #14

The other thing you can do is use as fast a shutter speed as I can manage with the light available. Even though the K100 and later Pentax cameras have SR and I try to use something over 1/300 sec when I'm using a 300 mm lens, just to make sure that I don't have camera shake. I often find myself not being as steady as I once was (relaxing helps, by the way).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote