Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:46 PM   #1

I was doing some work at my Mom's house and she asked me to go through some things of my Fathers. He passed away 10yrs ago and it is still hard to go through his stuff. My Mom started opening up the cabinets to show me the stuff and the first thing I looked at was a box with this lens (Mod: it's a Sogilor 400mm f5.6). I have no idea how good these are but I looked at the mount and it said Pentax. I forgot my father had a Ricoh slr. Well I brought it home and took a few shots of the moon. Can't wait to try it in daylight.
The box still looked like new. I don't remember him ever using it. (that should tell me something:lol

Stevie
Attached Images

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:18 PM   #2

I don't know anything about this lens at all, but that's a great shot of the moon. Judging from that one shot, it looks like you have a very useful lens. I hope the fact that it belonged to your late father will make the lens extra special.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:47 PM   #3

at one time soligor built some very good glass. then some gal got control of the company and they started to make their lenses at rock bottomprices.. they were an excellent maker but she it ran into the ground .. try it and see what it can do. also post here your results.!!!!!!

Roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:48 PM   #4

OH!!!!
nice shot!!!!!!!

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:22 PM   #5

That IS nice! Looks like some quality glass, a very nice find. I have an old Kiron lens that had been my fathers - it has oil on the aperture blades, but I haven't been able to toss it. I could buy a good one on ebay cheaper than I could repair his, but someday I'll just get it fixed, regardless of the cost.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:12 PM   #6

Let's just say after a test run this afternoon, This lens does it's best work in the dark. :?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:51 AM   #7

Mountain Gal....I don't know what your aptitude is for opening up a lens and repairing it. But here is what I did. I got a lens on Ebay which came with oily blades. It was merely a junker thrown in to sweeten the pot, and the lens it came with was the one I wanted. The wanted one turned out to be as advertised, and works well for me.

Being an inveterate tinkerer I couldn't just throw he bad lens away, and certainly could not resell it, so I opened it up, took photos of the process of parting it, removed the blades and washed them in lighter fluid, then reassembled everything. It all turned out well. The blades work perfectly, and the lens is now in use.

The oily blades can make a lens useless, so you might want to give a repair a try. A good set of jeweler's screwdrivers is a must. One tip, once you start you should carry on until the job is done or it becomes hopeless, for your short-term memory will help you do it right, and even an hour later, after pausing, may be ruinous.

Most of us will have some useless lenses. Practicing on one of them can teach you a lot, maybe even that you should go no further. Good luck if you try.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:03 AM   #8

Just wanted to post an update.

I was ready to write this lens off as a boat anchor. I tried to get good results from this lens for days with poor results. When I looked into the lens I could see what I thought was separation. I put it back in the box and on the shelf. I got board this week and took Old Engineer's advice. Got my tools together, a paper and note pad and started tinkering. I never took a lens apart.
I got it all apart and what I thought was separation was a oily substance. I cleaned it all up put it back together.(with no parts left over). Yesterday I took it out for a test run. Below are the results. This lens is not the best, I know that. It is real soft wide open. So if the lighting is right I may get a few keepers.
Thanks Old Engineer. :bye:

Stevie
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:06 AM   #9

My favorite visiting friend.
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:08 AM   #10

Jacobs Church at the lake
Attached Images