Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
snooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,411
Default

No samples yet but I already got a pleasant suprise, the HSM focusingworks with my Kenko 1.5X and Promaster 1.7x Teleconverters. In decent light even works at 500mm, as a mater of fact it works better than the SDM on my DA*300mm f/4 with the teleconverters. the 1.7X does not work at all with the 300mm, the 1.5X works poorly with the 300mm. The Sigma 150-500mm focuses almost as fast with the 1.5X as without, just a little slower withthe 1.7X TC.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

congrats ed.

how's the IQ of the promaster??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
snooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,411
Default

robar wrote:
Quote:
congrats ed.

how's the IQ of the promaster??

roy
It is really a re-badged Kenko, is about as good as the 1.5X which is good. This was taken with the Kenko 1.5X

Ed
Attached Images
 
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

snooked wrote:
Quote:
No samples yet but I already got a pleasant suprise, the HSM focusingworks with my Kenko 1.5X and Promaster 1.7x Teleconverters. In decent light even works at 500mm, as a mater of fact it works better than the SDM on my DA*300mm f/4 with the teleconverters. the 1.7X does not work at all with the 300mm, the 1.5X works poorly with the 300mm. The Sigma 150-500mm focuses almost as fast with the 1.5X as without, just a little slower withthe 1.7X TC.

Ed
Ed

Wow Congrat .

Can you confirm the model of the kenko 1.5x?

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC ?

Or Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ ?

I thought only Sigma designated TC works with the HSM or SDM of the lens.


Your sample shot looks sharp even with distracting background.


Daniel


danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Congrats Ed. Looking forward to the sample photos.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
snooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,411
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
snooked wrote:
Quote:
No samples yet but I already got a pleasant suprise, the HSM focusingworks with my Kenko 1.5X and Promaster 1.7x Teleconverters. In decent light even works at 500mm, as a mater of fact it works better than the SDM on my DA*300mm f/4 with the teleconverters. the 1.7X does not work at all with the 300mm, the 1.5X works poorly with the 300mm. The Sigma 150-500mm focuses almost as fast with the 1.5X as without, just a little slower withthe 1.7X TC.

Ed
Quote:
Ed

Wow Congrat .

Can you confirm the model of the kenko 1.5x?

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC ?

Or Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ ?

I thought only Sigma designated TC works with the HSM or SDM of the lens.


Your sample shot looks sharp even with distracting background.


Daniel
Quote:
The Kenko is a: Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ. The 1.7X Promaster is labled: Promaster Soectrum 7 Teleconverter forPentax Z AF.
Quote:
Bothe converters have the contacts for HSM.
Quote:
Instructions that came with the 150-500mm said Sigma DA 1.4 and 2.0X teleconverters will work with this lens in Manual focus only.
Quote:
I will be posting some photos from this afternoon on the regular Pentax Forum.
Quote:
Ed

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

snooked wrote:
Quote:
The Kenko is a: Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ. The 1.7X Promaster is labled: Promaster Soectrum 7 Teleconverter forPentax Z AF.
I am shocked that not just Sigma TC works for the SDM. When you have chance you may upload some comparison shots of your Sigma and with each of the TC. Not many people have this very new set up indeed

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Actually, it sounds like the Sigma TC won't work with the lens, but the Promaster and Kenko will. I was wondering if Sigma had changed their TC so that it would work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
snooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,411
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Actually, it sounds like the Sigma TC won't work with the lens, but the Promaster and Kenko will. I was wondering if Sigma had changed their TC so that it would work.
I bet the Sigma TC would work in decent light. They are just covering themselves for conditions the TC would not autofocus under.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 9:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Filter Size 86mm Minimum Focus Distance 7.2' (2.2 m) Length 9.9" (252mm

Weight 4.2 lbs (1.910kg)

It is fairly manageable in size. If the SDM measures up as John said, it is very competitive indeed. Afterall I have only 300mm lens. I still want to see some more sample images and if I get that I will testdrive it in B&H before biting the bullet. Cannot afford to ship back and forth for any issue at all.

Buying in Canada does give more warranty. My Sigma 24-60mm has 10 years warranty which is very reassuring for the SDM motor. Afterall Sigma service hub is just 10 minutes from me

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:35 PM.