Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:19 AM   #1

Very nice condition. Minor brassing, came with a M42 lens mount adapter.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2

Very nice lens. I've never bought off of ebay and I've wondered are most of your purchases satisfactory ?

Reason I'm asking is I've thought about looking for a Pentax 400-500- 600 telephoto prime off ebay, but up to now I've hesitated. Wonder if there are any pitfalls or cautions you could share ?

How many lenses do you have in your collection?

Thank you.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:11 PM   #3

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice lens. I've never bought off of ebay and I've wondered are most of your purchases satisfactory ?

Reason I'm asking is I've thought about looking for a Pentax 400-500- 600 telephoto prime off ebay, but up to now I've hesitated. Wonder if there are any pitfalls or cautions you could share ?

Thank you.
i've had excellent experience on ebay. i hardly ever pay retail for anything anymore..
i've taken some chances on a few and it's paid off.. as far as lenses go you need to ask the seller ???./.. problem is a lot of the sellers know nothing about how to check a lens.. i've got 11 lenses that i use and there are no two with the same range.. about the only time now that i bid a lenses will be for resale.. still looking for that WIDE tho.. if you're looking for a extreme tele be sure you have a tripod and head to support it.. the pentax 500/4.5 comes up occasionally.. 600usd is a fair price for it but it's totally a manual lens. weight is 7pounds+ and it's 19 1/4'' long.. the sigma 170-500 and 50-500 are also pretty decent lenses..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:18 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you.
i've had excellent experience on ebay. i hardly ever pay retail for anything anymore..
i've taken some chances on a few and it's paid off.. as far as lenses go you need to ask the seller ???./.. problem is a lot of the sellers know nothing about how to check a lens.. i've got 11 lenses that i use and there are no two with the same range.. about the only time now that i bid a lenses will be for resale.. still looking for that WIDE tho.. if you're looking for a extreme tele be sure you have a tripod and head to support it.. the pentax 500/4.5 comes up occasionally.. 600usd is a fair price for it but it's totally a manual lens. weight is 7pounds+ and it's 19 1/4'' long.. the sigma 170-500 and 50-500 are also pretty decent lenses..

roy
Thanks for relating your experience. I didn't realize a Pentax 500 weighs 7 lbs...that's pretty hefty. I do have a relatively heavy duty tripod, a 25 year old Leitz Tiltall..that is still in mint condition. I've used it with medium format cameras such as a Pentax 6 X 7 with 90mm LS and a Mamiya Twin Lens Reflex with 180 mm telephoto lens and it supports heavy combos like these well.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:32 PM   #5

I am afraid to count my lenses as the wife might find out how many I have and kill me!! LOL Actually I've bought over 60 and have resold or given away a lot of them. I'm in the process of collecting the entire run of T4 and TX lenses. This last one is not as common as some and therefore a good addition to the collection.

I've had 3 bad outcomes in all those transactions and most of the time it is because the people selling the lens cannot give me good info on the lens. Sometimes you have to guess at the type of lens mount from observing the blurry photos they supply. Ask questions and research the lens you want to buy. Go slow and cheap at first and then move up to a higher cost lens. If in doubt about a lens ask here and we will try to help you. A lot of knowledgeable folks here. They have helped me a lot.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote