Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1

I've been looking for a mid-range, high-speed zoom and got to looking at this one. I haven't heard much about it and would like to hear from those who have used it.

Paul

Edit: Open to other suggestions in general range of 30-110mm, constant f/2.8
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:16 PM   #2

Paul,

I have heard good things about Sigma 24-60 DX 2.8f and Sigma 24-70 DX 2.8F lenses. 24-70 is a well regarded lens for other camera systems as well, but it much heavier than the 24-60. If I remember this correctly, Daniel has the 24-60 and have been very happy with its performance.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

-thepusher

PS: Here are some reviews

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userrevi...uct=413&cat=74
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userrevi...uct=317&cat=74
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3

Hi Paul,

the Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di. . . is the first lens that I bought after getting my DS with the kit lens way back when. . . . AFAIC, it's a must have lens -- VERY sharp at all FLs wide open, with decent close-focusing capability. It's 42-112.5mm (135 equivalent) FL range is normal to short tele and perfect for close-to midrange portrait work. This is my best "people" lens.

I bought a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 thinking that I could use this instead, giving me more range on the short end. I abanconed the idea after about 5 min of shooting at my 40th High Scool Reunion, and grabbed the Tamron 28-75, which stayed on the camera the rest of the event.

One thing recommends this lens over some others in the same FL range -- 67mm filters -- Both of the Sigmas, the 24-60 and 24-70 f2.8s have 77mm and 82mm filter threads respectively, making them physically bigger and more expensive to filter if you want to. They do go a little wider, so if that's important, then they should be considered.

The Pentax FA* 28-70/2.8 is the only lens that I'd personally prefer over the Tamron, as it renders bokeh more smoothly -- the Tamron can get a little busy with certain backgrounds at certain distances. The cost differential of the Pentax (used) at 3-4x the Tamron's price is, IMO, not worth it for the relatively small improvement in bokeh. . .

On the downside, Kjell had problems getting a good copy. I don't know if this is a relatively recent problem with QC or what. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:55 PM   #4

I have this lens. I use it most of the time on my DS. It just simply does the job. I absolutely love it. I like using the 18-55 kit and 50-200 and I am pretty set to be honest. I never really went lens happy with Pentax like I did with Nikon. I have also the 50mm 1.7 which I use mostly with my K100D. I did have an older model of the 70-300 tamron 1:2 macroand loved it also. It went bad on me (actually I broke it inadvertantly)and I haven't replaced it since.

The Tamron 28-75mm 2.8XR Di macro is definitely a lens you will enjoy using. A great lens in my opinion.

Did I say I really like this lens?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:09 PM   #5

I went ahead and bought this lens, and so far, I'm more than pleased. I've posted a few on the Pentax forum; this is another from this afternoon.

Very fast focusing; this is fairly low light shot just before total sundown. Build quality appears to be far better than the only other Tamron I own, the 70-300mm.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:05 PM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
On the downside, Kjell had problems getting a good copy. I don't know if this is a relatively recent problem with QC or what. . .
He's not the only one. I went through 3 copies and they all had BF or softness issues. For wide open performance, only one was sharp wide open and only at one focal length (I tested 28/50/75 on a tripod w/ MLU). They seem to be sharp at f/4 and very sharp by f/5.6.

Glad the OP likes his though...

kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote