Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:40 PM   #1

Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras from Amazon for $399.

Is it a good lens and good price???
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:05 AM   #2

ALL!!
of the macro lenses are good!!! that's what they were designed for..
the tokina 90mm is rated highest at photodo but you'll never tell the difference.. pick you're price range and go from there. you might want to get a cheaper one until you know if you want to see if you really want to do macros..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3

Not cheap and not over priced. Listen to Roy. I like the Vivitar 105 but most all macro lens will do the job.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:26 PM   #4

I have the Viv Series One 105 macro and shot some comparison shots with it and the Pentax D FA 100mm. I couldn't see any meaningful difference between the two - both capture an incredible amount of detail and are pretty much equally sharp. I would be just as happy with it as I am with the Viv. I think you'd have to step up to the Zeiss 100mm macro (over $1000) to get significantly better (and then I wonder if I'd be able to tell the extra quality). It's sometimes seemed to me that the Tammy 90 is a hair better, but that could have been a better photographer. I wasn't convinced that it would make any difference at my skill level.

While you may be able to find just as good a lens for a little less, the Pentax won't disappoint.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:45 PM   #5

Hi Bowenp,

I have the D FA 100 Macro. Weight was a priority for me, as I assumed that I'd be using an external flash on a bracket and handholding for most of my macro stuff. I also have a few other lenses that work well as short teles, so the focus limiter of the FA 100 Macro (which is a major plus AFAIC) lost out to the significantly lighter weight of the D FA. -- there was also a $100 rebate at the time on the D FA. . .:-) Optically, it's a coin toss between all the premium quality ~100 macro lenses past and present, so any of the 1:1 will serve you well, IMO.

The D FA 100 is a great lens -- I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Thanks for advice
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:26 PM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bowenp,

I have the D FA 100 Macro. Weight was a priority for me, as I assumed that I'd be using an external flash on a bracket and handholding for most of my macro stuff. I also have a few other lenses that work well as short teles, so the focus limiter of the FA 100 Macro (which is a major plus AFAIC) lost out to the significantly lighter weight of the D FA. -- there was also a $100 rebate at the time on the D FA. . .:-) Optically, it's a coin toss between all the premium quality ~100 macro lenses past and present, so any of the 1:1 will serve you well, IMO.

The D FA 100 is a great lens -- I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Scott
use to be the price made a diff.. not now tho.. many here have the viv105.. i started the trend..
as H says ''maybe the voit is better'' but it's still MF and only a 1:2 macro unlike the vivitar at 1:1..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote