Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:34 PM   #1

I found this but not sure what it is or does -any ideas?tried to blow pic up but too distorted

first thought was microscope attachment

thanks Chris
Attached Images

biggyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:55 PM   #2
daz

If I remember correctly this is a stereo photo adapter. It would let you take stereo photo that when you put them in a handheld photo holder that let you see the photos in 3-D. These type of photos where big at the turn of the last century. They had a comeback in the 70s with a toy like thing that let you see the photos held in a ring. You put the photos, like slides, in the viewer and used a lever to see the next photos. I don't know what kind of viewer you would uses for the Pentax photos though.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3

Yes Daz it is a device for making 3-D slides.

Then put the slides into your matching Pentax Stereo Viewer II
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4

daz wrote:
Quote:
They had a comeback in the 70s with a toy like thing that let you see the photos held in a ring. You put the photos, like slides, in the viewer and used a lever to see the next photos.
You know when you look back at your childhood and wish you had held on to a toy that today would be a more-than-valuable collector's item? The Viewmaster to which you refer was marketed by GAF and came out in the late 1950's. Where my dad came up with it I don't know since he was one of the owners of a Chrysler dealership, but he brought home a Viewmaster with three reels introducing "the exciting new Edsel." I later got "more interesting" reels with cartoon characters, etc. I have no idea what ever happened to it, but how much might such a unique piece of Edsel marketing paraphenalia be worth today?

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:38 AM   #5

tHANKS yall I guess I my have to get it and play
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:17 AM   #6

i doubt the 3D will work on a digital so plan using it with film..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:18 PM   #7

Looking at the attachment, there is no reason it won't work on digital.

You just get 2 shots on the one negative.

Print to the correct size and view in 3D

LordV does this quite a lot manually (takes 2 shots) with his flower shots and they work really well.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:25 AM   #8

When I was going through my father's stuff, I found a viewmaster and some disks of the national parks. It still works and I had fun looking through the disks. Definitely brings back memories.

It would be interesting to see if you get proper stereoscopic pairs with the digital camera. The smaller sensor might not allow enough separation to get enough of a 3D effect? In any case, it would be fun to play with.

P.S. Would a regular stereoscope work with pictures taken with this?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:47 PM   #9

http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/d...others.html#08

I found a link to the pentax japan site ( how do you translate it)

and pictures of a viewer attached to a K10 for the 3D images soa digital print will work.

Chris
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:08 PM   #10

I have a Stitz stereo adapter which works on the same principle, except that it is adjustable for distance and focal length, which the Pentax is not as it is designed for use only on a "normal" 50mm lens and may fit only a 49mm thread. The adapter, unlike the Viewmaster system which uses two frames, provides two side-by-side images in the same frame. There are (were) slide and print viewers available in the Stitz system, as well as a projection adapter for your slide projector which provided polarized images that required special glasses. With digital you could only use the prints.

I never used mine much because I didn't find it all that satisfactory, and I never tried it with a digital camera. This afternoon I fitted the Stitz on my K10D with a 35-70mm zoom and tried a range of focal lengths - since mine is adjustable I can't say how the Pentax would focus at different focal lenghs, but I can say that the frame size is reduced at 50mm, so using the 35mm focal length applies nearly the digital equivalent of 50mm, and provides the full frame size. Since the Pentax Japan site shows it on a K10D it may still be available - whether it has been redesigned for the digital cameras I wouldn't know.

As to Harriet's question, I would imagine an old Victorian stereo viewer would work, but it would require some experimenting with print sizes and spacing of the two halves. Obviously, a Viewmaster viewer would not work, but a stereo map viewer might.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote