Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:55 AM   #1

More than a hand full. I shoot it almost exclusively hand held but most folks would be better off using a tripod and hiring a lens caddy. Looking for the 500mm big brother right now...then we will work our way down the size chain. I truly love the Aperture Iris on this lens...almost a perfect circle. Very nice bokeh and the movement is silky smooth. I can sit for hours just opening and closing the iris...Open .. close...open...close...open...close...

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:13 AM   #2

i've heard these were excellent lenses..
is that a K mount i see??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:54 AM   #3

M42 to K mount adapter screwed on a M42 lens mount. With blue locktite....LOL
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:28 PM   #4

Hi Dawg,

A pretty impressive looking lens with those 18(?) aperture blades. The design is so different from more modern ones. . .
If I'm reading the specs right, it weighs over 4 lbs -- about twice the weight of the DA* 300/4 -- and it looks it!

Out of curiosity. . .

This is a preset lens? If so, where is the switch to stop the lens down located?
Since the aperture ring is in front of the focus ring, are the aperture blades just behind the front lens elements, and if so, does that effect the rendering/bokeh?

Pretty cool

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:21 PM   #5

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

A pretty impressive looking lens with those 18(?) aperture blades. The design is so different from more modern ones. . .
If I'm reading the specs right, it weighs over 4 lbs -- about twice the weight of the DA* 300/4 -- and it looks it!

Out of curiosity. . .

This is a preset lens? If so, where is the switch to stop the lens down located?
Since the aperture ring is in front of the focus ring, are the aperture blades just behind the front lens elements, and if so, does that effect the rendering/bokeh?

Pretty cool

Scott
For your first question..Yes it is a preset lens.If you look at the photo..you will see a red dot at arrow 1. You grab the collar at arrow 2 and move it forward as arrow 3 shows. Then you rotate the collar till the red dot is aligned with your choice of f/stop and release the collar. It will spring back into position and now when you rotate it ..it will only move between wide open and the f/stop you chose. Kinda neat really. There are no detents in the aperture collar and it moves as smooth as silk. Again a neat idea. There are detents for the upper collar to seat in.
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:27 PM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

Out of curiosity. . .

Pretty cool

Scott
For your second question ...Here is the diagram of the lens sets for this lens...very simple really and plenty of room behind the first set for an Aperture blade set.
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:40 PM   #7

it sure looks amazing and I managed to put my hand on one of these... but I still don't have a suitable camera ( would you please give me some advice on which camera would be best (or which one would you prefer) to buy and be able to use this lens as well?

I am a bit far from pro and I still use my canon s5 IS so.. I don't think I would be able to buy some ultra expensive camera...

heelp )
Cistac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:08 PM   #8

how about Canon EOS 1000D? that camera has a prize I can afford... can I use this lens with that camera? and more important is 1000D ok?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cistac View Post
how about Canon EOS 1000D? that camera has a prize I can afford... can I use this lens with that camera? and more important is 1000D ok?
Being a Pentax shooter I cannot give a recommendation as far as the Canon cameras go but most canon cameras can use the M42 universal screw mount with an adapter. Check the Canon forum here and ask. They should be able to give you better advice as to that camera you are asking about.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:11 PM   #10

many thanks sir. I appreciate the help.... aaand admire your work )