Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:06 PM   #1

I'll soon be finally expanding my Pentax lens collection to include a fast prime in the traditional 50mm (equivalent) range. I've got the K200D right now (upgrades are likely in the future) and my currentlenses are the DA* 16-50 and 50-135mm f/2.8 zooms and the DA 50-300mm zoom.

I'd like to stick with higher-quality optics.I was considering the DA 35mm f/2.8 macro. It might still come to this because this is a very good macro lens. But I have f/2.8 zooms, so I was looking for a bit faster. And, although Pentax has the DA* 55mm f/1.4 lens... it seems plans for a 30mm version of this lens have fallen off the Pentax lens roadmap. Even if they still eventually bring it out, there's no telling how long we might have to wait.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM lens might bean option - and it costs about the same as the Pentax 35mm f/2.8 macro (just over $400). Does anyone have an experience with the Sigma?

Suggestions are welcome. There are the FA Limited primes, of course. But I suspect I'd be paying for extra glass that I don't need with an APS-C sensor.

Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:36 AM   #2

I can't help you with it as I don't have one but we caan keep this topic bumped to the top until there is a reply.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:09 AM   #3

I've also been searching for a similar length prime lens. I've been looking at the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro that can be had for $300. It seems like a very good price. Anyone had any experience with this lens?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4

I'd be seriously looking at the two FA Limitedsthe 31 f1.8 and the f43 1.9? I don't have either lens, and the 31mm is twice the cost, but Ihave the FA 77 Limited and think it's a brilliant lens, one of my best lenses. I have absolutely noregrets buying it, it's worth every penny. But you don't get the macro capability of the 35mm f2.8, which might be a better choice, depending on what type of capability you are looking for.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5

Hi Harriet! The Limiteds are, of course, the ultimate primes for Pentax and are at the top of my wish list. I'll just have to see if I'm willing to wait a while longer to put myself in a position to spend $800 versus $400.

Oh, and an FYI for anyone who might care: I have been told that while the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens is actually quite good, the HSM function doesn't work with Pentax mounts. Too bad. But not necessarily a deal killer if one gets a great deal on the lens.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:39 AM   #6

The FA 35mm f2.0 is one of the best price/performance lenses there is. It's fully workable already at f 2.0, and has totally cured my yearning for a 31mm Limited. Adding to it's advantagesare weight, size and build quality. It's recently been taken out of production, but there are still new ones on some shelves and it's regularly available on ebay, new or lightly used.

I'm pretty picky about lenses, as most of you know, and this one passes mypersonal QC with distinction.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:46 PM   #7

I have (3) Limited's DA 213.2, DA 40 2.8, and the DA 70 2.4. All of them are worth every cent I paid for them.

Photo is ist DS using DA 70 2.4 with studio lighting
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:43 PM   #8

I just got the Sigma 28mm 1.8 DG Macro this week. I really had no time to play with it. I will say this, it is a big, heavy lens. I will attach some photos taken just a few hours ago. This is the first Sigma lens I own. The build quality seems very good. If your looking for walk around primes I would take DMJJR's advice.

Stevie
Attached Images

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:44 PM   #9

Remember this is my first few shot's with this lens............
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:58 PM   #10

Hope this helps............Right out of the camera.
Attached Images