Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:42 PM   #11

Hi Stevie. That is how I got my 1.7. I bought a ME Super with it mounted to the camera. Got the whole outfit cheaper than a 1.7 by itself. Not any competing bidders either. Still have the ME Super and no real use for it. Thought I'd use it and my K1000 for a starter set , and take up collecting Pentax cameras. Hope you find that lens soon.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:31 PM   #12

Hi All

reading this forum with interest, I'm thinking of getting a K200d and a couple of lenses to start my journey with SLR cameras. What I want to know is do you need an adapter to fit these old lenses onto the Pentax digital SLRs or do that fit on there own? Bit confused with all these different fittings.

I've been looking on ebay and there are some very cheap ME Super cameras on there with lenses (eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-ME-Super-SLR-camera-28-50mm-lens_W0QQitemZ230333867162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ph otography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item230333867162&am p;_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66% 3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318) [not sure if that link will work - and no I'm not trying to bump the price up, I have nothing to do with the seller so I hope this isn't construed as advertising, if it is I apologise] would those lenses fit the K200d - I know the picture on ebay isn't wonderful but it looks like the one in Bigdawg's post from what I can make out in the pictures? - Can't really go wrong if they are that cheap and produce pictures like the carnation in Jachol's post

Thanks
Thedoctor

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:15 PM   #13

Hi Doc!

If a lens ever could sit on a Pentax SLR body, it will fit on a modern digital Pentax SLR. 40 year old lenses can be used, and this is one of the major advantages with Pentax. Some older lenses are very good, and sell at horrendous prices on ebay.

Screw mount lenses (M42, made till the early 70:es) and 6X7/645 (medium format SLR lenses, made for bigger professional cameras) will need an adapter, but any lens with a Pentax M, K, KA, F, FA, FAJ, D-FA orDA bayonet mount will fit without adapters.

There are restrictions in use with some older lenses (screw mount, M and K), but they are very usable anyway. KA lenses work all the way out except that they don't do auto focus. F, FA, FAJ, D-FA and the recent DA lenses give you full acess to all the cameras features.

There are some 25-30 million lenses waiting for you out there.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:48 PM   #14

The ebay seller tells you nothing about those lenses! You need details and better photos. There is a lot of old Pentax cameras for sale in tropical Australia at the moment but often with fungus on the internal lens surfaces. To be avoided!

good luck

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:14 AM   #15

Listen to Kjell and to BB2. Both are right and make good sense. The used lenses can be bought sometimes for near to nothing but you also will run a risk of buying something that is not usable as well. About half the folks selling these do not know anything about camera lenses. Most have no Idea what camera they fit either. I continually have to direct them to this web site.......http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html So they can tell me what lens mount the lens has on it. If I cannot see the photo of the actual lens I'm buying and a good photo as well then I'll pass it by. Do some research on the lenses you would like to buy and ask folks here for an opinion before buying. A very good resource for the manual lenses is...http://www.mflenses.com/ Check out their gallery and lens reviews and used lens and camera prices. I post there as well as here and get good info from both places. Nice folks run and post at both places as well. Hope you have fun and enjoy the rush as LBA washes over you. It will you know!!!:lol:

Dawg
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:29 AM   #16

Thanks for the info folks. I don't even have the camera yet and I'm already thinking of what extra lenses to get - must be premature LBA!!
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:10 AM   #17

thedoctor wrote:
Quote:
Can't really go wrong if they are that cheap and produce pictures like the carnation in Jachol's post

Thanks
Thedoctor

Hi Doc Welcome to the board,

Thanks for the compliment. By all means take notice of the excellent advice given above, anything I buy in auctions is researched thoroughly before I make a decision

to bid, it certainly pays to ask the seller questions if you've any doubts at all, most sellers will be only too pleased to offer further info. BTW my particular sample of this

lens was described as having fungus, but having dismantled, and cleaned lenses of this type previously, I had no worries about bidding on it, and in fact picked it up very

cheaply. When I took delivery I was very pleased to find no signs of fungus that I can detect, I think the seller needed to clean his eyeglasses, LOL. I haven't needed to

give it any attention at all, and I think the result speaks for itself. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:11 PM   #18

thedoctor wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info folks. I don't even have the camera yet and I'm already thinking of what extra lenses to get - must be premature LBA!!
Welcome aboard Doc. Yep....LBA hits the best of us...LOL

Dawg
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:50 AM   #19

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
That is how I got my 1.7. I bought a ME Super with it mounted to the camera. Got the whole outfit cheaper than a 1.7 by itself. Not any competing bidders either. Still have the ME Super and no real use for it. Thought I'd use it and my K1000 for a starter set , and take up collecting Pentax cameras. Hope you find that lens soon.
I got my F version (same optical formula other than the slightly different SMC) the same way - dirt cheap. It was with a SF1 as the lens was the original stock lens. That is the only 50mm I still have. Recent sample taken last weekend

http://forum.pentaxfans.net/showthread.php?t=75908

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:21 AM   #20

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
That is how I got my 1.7. I bought a ME Super with it mounted to the camera. Got the whole outfit cheaper than a 1.7 by itself. Not any competing bidders either. Still have the ME Super and no real use for it. Thought I'd use it and my K1000 for a starter set , and take up collecting Pentax cameras. Hope you find that lens soon.
I got my F version (same optical formula other than the slightly different SMC) the same way - dirt cheap. It was with a SF1 as the lens was the original stock lens. That is the only 50mm I still have. Recent sample taken last weekend

http://forum.pentaxfans.net/showthread.php?t=75908

Daniel
And that kind of low light indoor photography is what they excel at. Very good set Daniel.

Dawg