Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Got this one by buying a ME Super Pentax camera that it was attached to. Total cost was $9.99 plus shipping. Still got the ME Super and have no need for it.








bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

I've often seen this sold with film cameras of various sorts. I find my copy of this lens sharper wide open than the M 1.4 version, so the 1.7 is my go-to if I want a fast 50.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've often seen this sold with film cameras of various sorts. I find my copy of this lens sharper wide open than the M 1.4 version, so the 1.7 is my go-to if I want a fast 50.
Same here Harriet. It is about as good as it gets for me with a manual lens in low light. It was the kit lens for many ME's and ME Supers.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
beachboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 517
Default

Hi Dawg and Harriet. I have the A version of this lens, but its disabled and being used as an M version. Great optics and small size means it gets used quite often.

Apparently its quite common for the A feature to be broken or otherwise out of order, so its just as good having the M version I think.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:11 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg and Harriet. I have the A version of this lens, but its disabled and being used as an M version. Great optics and small size means it gets used quite often.

Apparently its quite common for the A feature to be broken or otherwise out of order, so its just as good having the M version I think.

cheers

bb2
The A makes it easier to use but the optics are the same. Thanks for looking in BB2.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jachol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW. England
Posts: 1,201
Default

Superb lens Ed, I have the A & the M versions ... Here's an available light shot of mothers day carnations with the M ... 1/320 sec @ f2.8 if I remember rightly 100% crop + resize, and a little selective sharpening. ... Jack
Attached Images
 
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Superb lens Ed, I have the A & the M versions ... Here's an available light shot of mothers day carnations with the M ... 1/320 sec @ f2.8 if I remember rightly 100% crop + resize, and a little selective sharpening. ... Jack
Sweet photo Jack. I'm going to get the 50 1.4 A lens one of thes days and another f/2 since they are so cheap anyway. They all are very good.
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:36 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Default

I sorted through my lenses today and discovered I have an SMC 50mm M f/1.7. I had been using my SMC 50mm f/1.4 for much of my photo work.

The posts here stirred up my interest, so I spent a couple of hours testing the two lenses. My findings:

The sharpness was identical using the on-board flash.

At f/2 setting the 1.7 slightly bettered the 1.4 for sharpness.

At f/8 and f/22 settings the 1.7 and 1.4 were the same sharpness.

The tests convinced me, and I am now going to use the 1.7 as my standard carry-round lens. The small advantage at low light by the 1.4 is not important to me.

Old Engineer


Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I sorted through my lenses today and discovered I have an SMC 50mm M f/1.7. I had been using my SMC 50mm f/1.4 for much of my photo work.

The posts here stirred up my interest, so I spent a couple of hours testing the two lenses. My findings:

The sharpness was identical using the on-board flash.

At f/2 setting the 1.7 slightly bettered the 1.4 for sharpness.

At f/8 and f/22 settings the 1.7 and 1.4 were the same sharpness.

The tests convinced me, and I am now going to use the 1.7 as my standard carry-round lens. The small advantage at low light by the 1.4 is not important to me.

Old Engineer

I actually like the bokeh better with the 1.7 as well. Seems to make the images more three dimensional. Glad you found yours. You won't regret it.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 166
Default

Dawg,
This was the lens I got with my ME super. I misplaced it. I searched everywhere. I just can't find it. So I just bought a new smcp 50mm 1.4 from Amazon. They had it on a today special for $189. I just know the old 1.7 will turn up any day now.:-)

Stevie

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:55 PM.