Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:27 PM   #1

Got this one by buying a ME Super Pentax camera that it was attached to. Total cost was $9.99 plus shipping. Still got the ME Super and have no need for it.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:31 PM   #2

I've often seen this sold with film cameras of various sorts. I find my copy of this lens sharper wide open than the M 1.4 version, so the 1.7 is my go-to if I want a fast 50.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:36 AM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've often seen this sold with film cameras of various sorts. I find my copy of this lens sharper wide open than the M 1.4 version, so the 1.7 is my go-to if I want a fast 50.
Same here Harriet. It is about as good as it gets for me with a manual lens in low light. It was the kit lens for many ME's and ME Supers.

Dawg
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:21 AM   #4

Hi Dawg and Harriet. I have the A version of this lens, but its disabled and being used as an M version. Great optics and small size means it gets used quite often.

Apparently its quite common for the A feature to be broken or otherwise out of order, so its just as good having the M version I think.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:11 AM   #5

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg and Harriet. I have the A version of this lens, but its disabled and being used as an M version. Great optics and small size means it gets used quite often.

Apparently its quite common for the A feature to be broken or otherwise out of order, so its just as good having the M version I think.

cheers

bb2
The A makes it easier to use but the optics are the same. Thanks for looking in BB2.

Dawg
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:28 PM   #6

Superb lens Ed, I have the A & the M versions ... Here's an available light shot of mothers day carnations with the M ... 1/320 sec @ f2.8 if I remember rightly 100% crop + resize, and a little selective sharpening. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Superb lens Ed, I have the A & the M versions ... Here's an available light shot of mothers day carnations with the M ... 1/320 sec @ f2.8 if I remember rightly 100% crop + resize, and a little selective sharpening. ... Jack
Sweet photo Jack. I'm going to get the 50 1.4 A lens one of thes days and another f/2 since they are so cheap anyway. They all are very good.
Dawg
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:36 AM   #8

I sorted through my lenses today and discovered I have an SMC 50mm M f/1.7. I had been using my SMC 50mm f/1.4 for much of my photo work.

The posts here stirred up my interest, so I spent a couple of hours testing the two lenses. My findings:

The sharpness was identical using the on-board flash.

At f/2 setting the 1.7 slightly bettered the 1.4 for sharpness.

At f/8 and f/22 settings the 1.7 and 1.4 were the same sharpness.

The tests convinced me, and I am now going to use the 1.7 as my standard carry-round lens. The small advantage at low light by the 1.4 is not important to me.

Old Engineer

Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:53 AM   #9

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I sorted through my lenses today and discovered I have an SMC 50mm M f/1.7. I had been using my SMC 50mm f/1.4 for much of my photo work.

The posts here stirred up my interest, so I spent a couple of hours testing the two lenses. My findings:

The sharpness was identical using the on-board flash.

At f/2 setting the 1.7 slightly bettered the 1.4 for sharpness.

At f/8 and f/22 settings the 1.7 and 1.4 were the same sharpness.

The tests convinced me, and I am now going to use the 1.7 as my standard carry-round lens. The small advantage at low light by the 1.4 is not important to me.

Old Engineer

I actually like the bokeh better with the 1.7 as well. Seems to make the images more three dimensional. Glad you found yours. You won't regret it.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:45 PM   #10

Dawg,
This was the lens I got with my ME super. I misplaced it. I searched everywhere. I just can't find it. So I just bought a new smcp 50mm 1.4 from Amazon. They had it on a today special for $189. I just know the old 1.7 will turn up any day now.:-)

Stevie

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote