Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:00 AM   #1

Pardon the dust but I unwrapped it from the shipping paper and shot these without cleaning the dust off. Very very clean and well kept lens. I'm hoping it will be somewhere as good as the last on I had. This one has found a home till I pass on.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:29 AM   #2

Hi Dawg. Looks like a good acquisition. I (rashly?) bought a Vivitar 200mm F3.5 PK mount lens. Tokina manufacture by the serial no. Perhaps you might help me out with a question? This version has the aperture values printed on the aperture ring from 3.5 to 22 but to both the left and right with small o above the 22 at each end of the markings. A lower ring has a small wing mounted on it with a metal button and directional arrows: o to the left and L to the right. I'm assuming this bottom "ring" is a manual- auto lock?

(Just like your Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 TX)

In this case the metal button and lower ring don't appear to rotate or do anything. The lens appears to function fine as a manual k mount lens. I've used it in M mode and A mode on my K20D. I'll post some photos later. The lens appears in as new condition. But I wonder if it is defective in that the lower ring does not rotate?
Also I wonder what "Auto Telephoto" means on these lenses?

Thanks and regards

bb2

The image below is cropped.

beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:44 PM   #3

i've had about 8 of these, 2 K mount. all made by komine. i've never seen what you speak of..this is a reaaly sharp lens for what you pay for it..

dawg, that case looks better than mine. i think i'd hold on to it..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:06 AM   #4

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg. Looks like a good acquisition. I (rashly?) bought a Vivitar 200mm F3.5 PK mount lens. Tokina manufacture by the serial no. Perhaps you might help me out with a question? This version has the aperture values printed on the aperture ring from 3.5 to 22 but to both the left and right with small o above the 22 at each end of the markings. A lower ring has a small wing mounted on it with a metal button and directional arrows: o to the left and L to the right. I'm assuming this bottom "ring" is a manual- auto lock?

(Just like your Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 TX)

In this case the metal button and lower ring don't appear to rotate or do anything. The lens appears to function fine as a manual k mount lens. I've used it in M mode and A mode on my K20D. I'll post some photos later. The lens appears in as new condition. But I wonder if it is defective in that the lower ring does not rotate?
Also I wonder what "Auto Telephoto" means on these lenses?

Thanks and regards

bb2

The image below is cropped.

BB2. Most of the T4 and TX lens have that type of Aperture ring on them. To remove the lens mount you have to push in the metal tab on the plastic block with the O and the L on it and while doing so rotate the ring counter clockwise. Do you have a photo of the lens and the aperture ring? If so please post it so I can get a better look. The Auto name is used to distinguish it for preset lenses. These will step down "automatically to the aperture you set when the shutter is released. With preset lenses they have 2 aperture rings. One you set to an aperture setting. The other you open wide open to focus and meter then move it to the stop created by setting the first ring. This allowed folks to focus and step down the aperture with out having to look at the aperture ring and loose the view in the view finder. The Auto lenses allowed the shutter release to step it down for you. Go here for a better explanation of Auto stop down metering or open aperture metering.
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K_...ure_Bases.html

And another very good explanation of what is meant by Auto in SLR's and lenses is found here.
http://www.geocities.com/dainisjg/35mmslr.html

Here is a photo of the release block on a T4 lens. It will be the same on a TX lens.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:44 AM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
i've had about 8 of these, 2 K mount. all made by komine. i've never seen what you speak of..this is a reaaly sharp lens for what you pay for it..

dawg, that case looks better than mine. i think i'd hold on to it..

roy
Don't worry Roy. The lens and case have found their home till I pass on! :G:G

Dawg
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:12 AM   #6

Hi Dawg, thanks again for your info and encouragement. Its much appreciated.

Photos as promised:
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:12 AM   #7

No 2
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:13 AM   #8

No 3
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:14 AM   #9