Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 1, 2009, 1:27 PM   #1

From my Spotmatic F days, I still have three SMC Takumar lenses: F3.5 35 mm, F 1.8 55 mm and F 4 200 mm. The K200D has a crop factor of 1.5x so these would in effect become 52.5 mm, 82.5 mm and 300 mm. The kit lens (DA 18-55 mm AL II)has an SLR equivalent of 27 mm to 82.5 mm. I can see using the 200 mm lens but wouldn't the 35 and 55 mm lenses be redundant or would there still be a use for them?

Thanks in advance for any input/thoughts.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2009, 4:14 PM   #2

Before I got rid of the Takumar lenses, take some comparison shots with them and the kit lens to see which you like better. The kit lens is pretty good for a kit lens, and excellent value because it's so inexpensive, but it won't match a very good prime lens. Also, your 55mm lens is a much faster lens at f1.8, so it could be a lot more useful in low light.

On the other hand, it's rather nice having auto focus and auto exposure, which you wouldn't have the Takumar lenses. I'm not familiar with any of these lenses (my Pentax days started with the K-mount) so I can't help you with whether these have any additional merit. Try them out and see if their quality is enough to compensate for the extra work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 5:16 PM   #3

Hello bluenose,

Do you already have the screw-mount to K-mount adapter?

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 6:26 PM   #4

From mtngal: "On the other hand, it's rather nice having auto focus and auto exposure.."

I agree wholeheartedly which is my primary concern in using the 35 an 55 mm lenses. As you suggested I suppose I will just have to try them and look at the reults to see if the lack of auto focus and exposure is worth it. The 200 mm will be a go regardless as having an effective 300mm lens will make up for any loss of the auto features.

From tacticdesigns: "Do you already have the screw-mount to K-mount adapter?"

Not as yet but it's my next purchase. A local shop has the Pentax adapter listed as being in stock.

Thanks to you both for the responses.

Regards
Old May 1, 2009, 11:11 PM   #5

I have all of those lens and would not part with them for anything. They are all good lens and have their place. The kit lens is good if you are needing a walk about lens and I use mine a lot , but when I know ahead of time the lens focal length needed to do a shoot, then the prime lenses get the use.

for a look at samples of some screw mount lens photos I've taken look here...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 11:47 AM   #6

Again, thanks for the responses.

As I am definitely going to be using the 200 mm lens with the K mount adapter, I will try out the 35 and 55 mm lenses to see what they're capable of doing. I do like the kit lens for general walk about shooting but having the otherlenses available to use depending on circumstancesmakes sense.

Regards
Old May 2, 2009, 2:28 PM   #7

bluenose wrote:
Quote:
Again, thanks for the responses.

As I am definitely going to be using the 200 mm lens with the K mount adapter, I will try out the 35 and 55 mm lenses to see what they're capable of doing. I do like the kit lens for general walk about shooting but having the otherlenses available to use depending on circumstancesmakes sense.

Regards
You'll find that 55mm a very good portrait lens.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 10:18 PM   #8

I still use my screw mount Takumar, Zeiss and Vivitar Series 1 lenses for subjects where quality is important and I have plenty of time to set up the shot, such as landscapes.

They still offer Aperture Priority semi automatic metering, which is my preferred mode for that type of photography and manual focus is not a hardship, and you still get a focus confirmation in the viewfinder from the Autofocus system.

The kit lens is a bit soft at the edges for landscape work, but is nice and sharp in the middle so it so good for portraits or subjects where the middle of the image is far more important than the edges.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9

Prices of the Takumars seem to be increasing substantially on Ebay. Don't be too quick to get rid of yours. I have just rediscovered my PENTAX 30mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 SMC manual lenses and they are great. Have a 135mm Super Takumar on the way and just got a screw mount Helios 44M which looks to be extremely sharp. All good fun!
Cheers
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
Prices of the Takumars seem to be increasing substantially on Ebay. Don't be too quick to get rid of yours. I have just rediscovered my PENTAX 30mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 SMC manual lenses and they are great. Have a 135mm Super Takumar on the way and just got a screw mount Helios 44M which looks to be extremely sharp. All good fun!
Cheers
bb2
Not to worry. Those old lenses will be with me and the new camera for quite some time. I still need to pick up the Pentax adapter but once I've done that I'll get out and do some practising with the old lenses to get an understanding of their capabilities/limitations.

Regards