Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 18, 2009, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Got my M 50mm f 1.4 lens. Can't get it to work? Pics

I just got an M 50mm f 1.4 today. In great shape... see pics below.
Problem is... I can't get it to work on my Pentax K10D?
I tried the Manual focus w/manual setting on the dial and all I'm seeing on the top LCD is a blinking F - - ?

What am I doing wrong?

What kind of lighting situations would the M 50mm f 1.4 be best suited for over the standard 18-55mm zoom lens I have now?

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 8:37 PM   #2

RTFM: see page 35 and 210

p35: Lists custom menu options, including the option to allow the camera to release when the lens is not on "A" or has no "A"

p210: Lists the metering options for various classes of lenses, provided the custom option to allow shooting when the aperture ring is not on "A" has been properly set.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 8:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
RTFM: see page 35 and 210

p35: Lists custom menu options, including the option to allow the camera to release when the lens is not on "A" or has no "A"

p210: Lists the metering options for various classes of lenses, provided the custom option to allow shooting when the aperture ring is not on "A" has been properly set.
Your a lifesaver! I'll grab the manual now and try it out.

Thanks!

P.S. I could have done without the RTFM language though...

Last edited by jack55; May 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:46 PM   #4

Here is the first picture taken with the 50mm lens

Old May 18, 2009, 11:58 PM   #5

Was this wide open or did you stop the lens down a bit? It looks pretty sharp where its in focus. Remember that the camera won't stop down the lens unless you are in "M" mode - you can use Av or P or whatever, but the camera won't stop down the lens. If you are planning on using the lens wide open anyway, then it's nice to have the constant metering. When you use the M mode, you have to remember to push the green button so the camera can meter. It becomes second nature very quickly, and I sometimes find myself pushing it without thinking when I'm using an FA/DA lens, if I've been using a manual lens for a while.

Looking at your last picture, have you discovered how to set a custom white balance yet? That's just an aside - I understand you were not trying to take a brilliant picture, but rather to see how the lens works. But it did come to mind, looking at it.

By the way, if this was shot at f1.4, then your lens is better than mine is. Mine wouldn't have been as sharp as what yours is where it is in focus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 12:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Was this wide open or did you stop the lens down a bit? It looks pretty sharp where its in focus. Remember that the camera won't stop down the lens unless you are in "M" mode - you can use Av or P or whatever, but the camera won't stop down the lens. If you are planning on using the lens wide open anyway, then it's nice to have the constant metering. When you use the M mode, you have to remember to push the green button so the camera can meter. It becomes second nature very quickly, and I sometimes find myself pushing it without thinking when I'm using an FA/DA lens, if I've been using a manual lens for a while.

Looking at your last picture, have you discovered how to set a custom white balance yet? That's just an aside - I understand you were not trying to take a brilliant picture, but rather to see how the lens works. But it did come to mind, looking at it.

By the way, if this was shot at f1.4, then your lens is better than mine is. Mine wouldn't have been as sharp as what yours is where it is in focus.
I've got to learn the white balance better... just lazy is all.

And I think I had it in Aperture mode instead of Manual mode.
It's gonna take some practice to get what I want, but that is part of the fun.

Last edited by jack55; May 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:44 AM   #7

Hi Jack, as Harriet says, your photo above was taken at F1.4, as the lens does not stop down in Aperture mode. Use M manual mode if you don't want to take a photo at F1.4!
cheers
bb2
PS I have been getting right into using manual prime lenses.Takes a little practice with each lens before the results are good but well worth perservering.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
Hi Jack, as Harriet says, your photo above was taken at F1.4, as the lens does not stop down in Aperture mode. Use M manual mode if you don't want to take a photo at F1.4!
cheers
bb2
PS I have been getting right into using manual prime lenses.Takes a little practice with each lens before the results are good but well worth perservering.
OK, DUH! Now I'm catching on.
Even though I had the aperture set at f2 it was still shooting at f1.4 because I had the camera mode set on Aperture... so if I put the mode in manual, then it will shoot at f2 or f5.6...correct?
Old May 19, 2009, 11:01 AM   #9

Correct!
Good luck
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 11:41 PM   #10

Yep - and remember that the camera won't change the shutter speed from what it was the last time you set it. To meter in M mode you'll need to push the green button (after getting a couple of white or black frames because you forgot to push the button, you'll get used to it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote