Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 24, 2009, 9:15 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Putting Pentax Lenses on a Canon 500D

Hi lovely Pentaxians

I've just added a Canon 500D to my kit as I wanted to be able to shoot video with my Canon kit and was aware of the limitations of both the Canon 500D and 5D mkII not being able to control aperture.

I know that there are certain adaptors available to Pentax and Nikon that I believe will allow me to set the aperture manually.

I'm considering getting this adaptor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-PK-Lens...3A1%7C294%3A24 from your knowledge of Pentax lenses do you think what I'm trying to do will work?

At then end of the day we are not talking much money so I'm happy to give it a bash and you never know you might well find me digging around for lens suggestions.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 10:25 PM   #2

I might just say that you should be careful that the protection post for the aperture follower on the Pentax K compatible lens doesn't foul something in the Canon 500D.

I damaged an E-510 with a Pentax K mount lens. Check everything before mounting the lens/adapter to the camera.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 6:51 PM   #3

Interesting idea. I've never messed with adaptors, so can't really offer much. I'm not surprised about dnas having a problem with the post that allows the camera to stop down the lens. One thing that comes to mind immediately is that you'd need to use a lens that has an aperture ring - not one of the DA or FAJ lenses.

I have a K-mount TC (used on an ME so it's manual, no electronic contacts) and use it as an extension tube. My FA and A lenses don't seem to mind being mounted and used on it so you wouldn't have trouble with with the lenses themselves for M, A, F or FA lenses.

Since you won't be using the camera to stop down the lens, the main problem I can see is being able to focus through a significantly stopped down lens.

Would this be easier if you were to use an M42 screw mount lens?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 7:05 PM   #4

You focus while it is wide open, then stop down.

Regarding the fouling of part on he lens, it's the post that protects the aperture lever, not the lever itself that damaged the E-510. However, it's best to check BOTH with the Canon. The protector post is generlly easy enough to remove, and it doesn't affect the lens function at all.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:34 PM   #5

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the focus plane on canons are too close for a pentax lens.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:11 PM   #6

Canon EF mount is 44mm. Pentax K is 45.5mm
So you've got just 1.5mm

It's close but it's just enough. One other reason why it works, is that the EF mount has quite large diameter so the PK fits nicely inside the EF mount.

So, for example, you won't find an EF to 4/3 mount adapter because the EF's large diameter won't allow the lens to fit inside the 4/3 mount diameter. (and I'd also say it's pointless because there no aperture ring on the EF lenses, although I've seen an EF to micro 4/3 adapter!!!)
Old May 27, 2009, 4:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi lovely Pentaxians

I've just added a Canon 500D to my kit as I wanted to be able to shoot video with my Canon kit and was aware of the limitations of both the Canon 500D and 5D mkII not being able to control aperture.

I know that there are certain adaptors available to Pentax and Nikon that I believe will allow me to set the aperture manually.

I'm considering getting this adaptor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-PK-Lens...3A1%7C294%3A24 from your knowledge of Pentax lenses do you think what I'm trying to do will work?

At then end of the day we are not talking much money so I'm happy to give it a bash and you never know you might well find me digging around for lens suggestions.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Mark
Mark...not selling anything here but if you really want to try pentax lenses on that Canon go here for very good info...http://forum.mflenses.com/

The members on that forum have hooked up almost any combination of lens and camera you could dream up. Very helpful folks and always friendly.