Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 29, 2009, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
Thanks for all the good input. I love this forum, by the way! Everyone seems very kind and willing to offer help and advice, just what a DSLR novice like me likes: a lot of input to help me with my learning curve.
Jerry
jerry,
everyone here is on the same learning curve..
even if they don't know it.
there is always another plateau to reach
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:19 AM   #12
Administrator

If you go with a K-7, you may also want to consider the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 EX DC HSM.

It doesn't get discussed as much as the more popular 70-200mm f.2.8 lenses. But, it's a smaller and lighter lens compared to the current 70-200mm f/2.8 offerings, and it's available at a slightly lower price point, too. Just keep in mind that you probably won't be able to use it on a camera with a full frame sensor without cropping, should Pentax offer one in the future (Sigma's DC series lenses like the the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 are designed for cameras with APS-C size sensors). It doesn't look like it's available in Pentax mount yet. But, Sigma will probably offer it at some point.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you go with a K-7, you may also want to consider the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 EX DC HSM.
You know, I thought this lens would be a big hit - the focal length is perfect for basketball. But I can't say I've seen a single indoor sports shot taken with it. That concerns me. Now, a contributing factor is: prior to clean ISO 3200 / 6400 you couldn't use 2.8 effectively indoors. And it's only the latest batch of cameras clean enough to give those results - and many sports shooters using those Canon 1d /50d, Nikon d3/700/d300 cameras are using OEM lenses. So not really a good cross section of cameras capable and sports shooters not using OEM lenses to test this lens out. On a spec sheet it sure seems good. But there are often vast differences between a spec sheet and real life. I would avoid using any lens for sports application without seeing first-hand photos of it's use for the purpose.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 1:06 PM   #14

don't all of you people know that you can't shoot sports with a pentax
Old May 29, 2009, 1:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
don't all of you people know that you can't shoot sports with a pentax
:d:d:d
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:04 AM   #16

I don't have a lot of lenses, but I have a good 50mm f/1.4 and also a f/1.7. Both are manal lenses. My procedure would be to plan in advance on where you will get the kind of action you want. Then pre-focus for that distance and shoot when a situation takes place. By setting your shutter speed, the aperture, and the ISO in advance, and then testing them on a rather still subject at the planned distance, you will probably get a good picture. Try it with and without flash, but avoid the flash if you can get something usable without it. I think I would get a good picture at least a third of the time.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:09 PM   #17

i use to do that with my fuji s7000 at dog meets..
over heard that they thought you can't shoot action with a digital and answer was, ''he knows how to''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
I don't have a lot of lenses, but I have a good 50mm f/1.4 and also a f/1.7. Both are manal lenses. My procedure would be to plan in advance on where you will get the kind of action you want. Then pre-focus for that distance and shoot when a situation takes place. By setting your shutter speed, the aperture, and the ISO in advance, and then testing them on a rather still subject at the planned distance, you will probably get a good picture. Try it with and without flash, but avoid the flash if you can get something usable without it. I think I would get a good picture at least a third of the time.
Old Engineer