Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:38 PM   #11

I wouldn't quite call it a marketing gimmick, but it is for some situations, useful in others. The main reason why I like the sealed body is for snow stuff. I can easily carry the camera around my neck, with the LCD facing out to the weather/snow and have my long tele lens and the camera's lens mount covered by my jacket. It's not like rain, I can shoot a picture without too much worry about water getting in (I do keep an eye on the appropriate area to make sure it's snow-free when it goes back under my jacket). The weather sealing on the camera body is all I really need in this situation. I hesitated to mention this since this wouldn't work in rain.

I did take either the K10 or 20 (don't remember which) and the DA*50-135 (weather sealed) out on a very snowy day, leaving the camera out as I helped a neighbor get unstuck and didn't have any trouble. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using this combination in a downpour though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You've just discovered why weather sealing for consumer bodies is a marketing gimmick most of the time..... For heavier rain I use a Kata rain cover - heavy duty, good view of the back of the camera and acess into the camera to control the camera and the lens - plus the ability to attach to a tripod.
You make a good point, John. Unless you are able to equip yourself with a wide range of weather-sealed lenses, having the camera body sealed as effectively as the Pentax is not that much of an advantage. However, that being said, I have found myself in more than a couple of situations where I was able to keep shooting because I had the DA*50-135, a strong versatile lens than can carry you through a variety of situations.

Pentax is trying to create a marketing advantage, I feel, with the introduction of a couple of sealed entry-level lenses, the new 18-55 kit lens and the corresponding 50-200 in a sealed configuration. However, I haven't seen anything concrete on when they will be available.

BTW, I appreciate the recommendation of the Kata rain cover. It may be high on my "must-have" list since several of my best lenses are not water-resistant.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
i hate to say it but i've avoided the DA lenses.. why spend a small fortune on a lens that will not work on a FF sensor.. this is not an ''if'' but a ''when''
Hi Roy - I thought about this very early on, but the current sensor size is it for me. I really do not feel the need to go FF, so I'll just stay here and if FF ever comes about, then there will be some good lens prices. What I wanted was not available in the FA series, so I have been acquiring DA, which is just perfect for me. If I were to go FF, I felt I would need to go to a different brand, however I was happy with Pentax and what was available. It is, what it is.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post

Pentax is trying to create a marketing advantage, I feel, with the introduction of a couple of sealed entry-level lenses, the new 18-55 kit lens and the corresponding 50-200 in a sealed configuration. However, I haven't seen anything concrete on when they will be available.

Paul
I think this is a good idea. I was hiking the other day with a rather heavy camera and heavy lens. My camera is fully weather sealed but the pricey lens was not. It was getting overcast. And I was thinking how dicey things would get if it started to rain. I realized that a smaller DSLR with antishake and weather sealing is a great advantage for that situation. I thought if Oly were weather sealed it would be perfect because of it's small size. I can't recall if any Oly cameras or lenses are sealed. If not, and if Pentax does it could be a real selling point.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I really do not feel the need to go FF, so I'll just stay here and if FF ever comes about, then there will be some good lens prices. .
aint it the truth
robar is offline   Reply With Quote