Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:19 AM   #1

Default DA Lens Question.

I have the Pentax DA 17-70, 55-300, and 35mm limited Macro, now on pentax site they say that they are weather sealed as on their site they say
(The PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water and grease to keep your lens clean and your image quality at its peak.)
But on forums i hear people say that i wish my DA lens was weather sealed, am i missing something here?
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2

The SP coating is on the lens glass itself, not lens body or the mount. The glass itself is water resistance, you can wipe it off easier compared to a normal class without the SP coating. Water can still get into the lens through the zoom movement or through the mount. The DA* lens has a special gasket on the lens mount to prevent water or anything else from getting inside through the mount. Also there are no moving parts on the outside of the lens, everything moves is inside the lens.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superakuma View Post
The SP coating is on the lens glass itself, not lens body or the mount. The glass itself is water resistance, you can wipe it off easier compared to a normal class without the SP coating. Water can still get into the lens through the zoom movement or through the mount. The DA* lens has a special gasket on the lens mount to prevent water or anything else from getting inside through the mount. Also there are no moving parts on the outside of the lens, everything moves is inside the lens.
Thanks so that means although my K20D is weather sealed i can't shoot in rain or anything due to my DA lenses.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4

It is not recommended but I've done it before.
I've used my K100D with non weather sealed lens in light rain with no problem. It just depends on how bad it is raining. Of course you are taking a risk.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:16 PM   #5

i hate to say it but i've avoided the DA lenses.. why spend a small fortune on a lens that will not work on a FF sensor.. this is not an ''if'' but a ''when''
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
i hate to say it but i've avoided the DA lenses.. why spend a small fortune on a lens that will not work on a FF sensor.. this is not an ''if'' but a ''when''
I would disagree with that. I would say why not take advantage of the latest optics and lens designs and enjoy them today instead of waiting for the next big thing. If I would of waited, I wouldn't have any wide angle lens like my Sigma 10-20mm or my sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 ex dc lens. I think the widest FF constant f/2.8 zoom lens is at 24mm and that is the Sigma 24-70mm. That lens is extremely big and heavy.

I understand that you don't want to buy your lens and you may have to rebuy it again if you go get a FF camera. But Pentax hasn't announce anything yet so might as well enjoy what you can get right now.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
The DA lenses i have are pretty good ones with great reviews, i also have had the Tamron 17-50 on my 40D and the DA 17-70 is optically better
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:03 PM   #8

Hi herc,

The DA 17-70 is supposed to have an o-ring at the mount, which would seal this area, but doesn't have seals in the focusing or zooming mechanisms -- so it's actually partially sealed. Your other lenses have no sealing, but if you really need to shoot in the rain, a plastic bag taped to both the lens and the body can work in a pinch.

Scott

If you
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superakuma View Post
I would disagree with that. I would say why not take advantage of the latest optics and lens designs and enjoy them today instead of waiting for the next big thing. If I would of waited, I wouldn't have any wide angle lens like my Sigma 10-20mm or my sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 ex dc lens. I think the widest FF constant f/2.8 zoom lens is at 24mm and that is the Sigma 24-70mm. That lens is extremely big and heavy.

I understand that you don't want to buy your lens and you may have to rebuy it again if you go get a FF camera. But Pentax hasn't announce anything yet so might as well enjoy what you can get right now.
IT'LL HAPPEN AND I CAN'T AFFORD $800-1300 on a lens that will be obsolete in a couple of years..
sorry about the caps
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Thanks so that means although my K20D is weather sealed i can't shoot in rain or anything due to my DA lenses.
You've just discovered why weather sealing for consumer bodies is a marketing gimmick most of the time. There are a few exceptions but not many. But when you look across ALL systems there aren't a lot of lenses that are weather sealed - very few actually.

If you're only going to be in inclimate weather occasionally then a plastic bag can do the trick. For heavier rain I use a Kata rain cover - heavy duty, good view of the back of the camera and acess into the camera to control the camera and the lens - plus the ability to attach to a tripod. It was a great step up from a plastic bag when I don't need the heavy duty protection an aquatech provides (at about $200).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote