Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:09 AM   #1

Default Close up lens positive surprise

A few days ago I found an A 50mm 1.4 lens at a price I couldn't resist, especially since there were some accessories coming with it. A Proline UV, a metal hood and a Minolta No.1 close up lens. My intention was to resell it all except the hood, but after trying the closeup lens I've changed my mind. I put it on my M 100mm Macro and tried it, and was happily surprised.

First picture is for reference, taken with the A 50mm (before selling it I'm going to do the test Hayward remember Hayward? never got his butt around to do. Who know's, I might end up keeping it).

Second picture is with the M 100mm Macro at closest focusing distance.

Third is with the M 100mm+the close up lens at closest distance. Anyone knows what No.1 in the name means?

Finally I put on 72 mm extension tubes. Exposure was 8 sec, so I understand the need for a flash rig when getting serious with macro!

All pictures have been pp-ed to get the best out of them, contrast improved and usm added.

Kjell
Attached Images

Last edited by bilybianca; Jun 6, 2009 at 7:00 AM.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
...Anyone knows what No.1 in the name means?...
There are several ways of marking closeup lenses. The most common is to mark it with its diopter strength (e.g. +1, +2, ...). Another method is to mark it with its actual focal length in mm (e.g. Canon's 250, 250D, 500, ...). The third is it use arbitrary "model" numbers (e.g. Minolta's #0, #1, #2 and Nikon's #0, #1, #2, 3T, 4T, 5T, & 6T).

Minolta:
#0 = +1 = 1000mm
#1 = +2 = 500mm
#2 = +4 = 250mm

Nikon:
#0 = +0.75 = 133mm
#1, 3T, & 5T = 666mm (approx)
#2, 4T, & 6T = 333mm (approx)

Canon:
500, 500D = +2 = 500mm
250, 250D = +4 = 250mm

Minolta's lenses were, I believe, optimized for use with 50mm lenses. Nikon's #1 & #2 were also optimized for 50mm lenses. Nikons #0 was intended for the 43-86 zoom and modest teles up to 200mm and the "T" lenses were optimized for modest telephotos (75-200mm). I don't know the target lenses for Canon's but the D models seem to be for modest teles. In all of these cases, the lenses are generally significantly better than the run of the mill CU lenses from filter manufacturers.

For anyone who has actually worked with these premium CU lenses (Minolta, Canon, or Nikon), your results are absolutely no surprise. The Minolta CU lens may be the best part of the "grab bag" that you acquired.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
A few days ago I found an A 50mm 1.4 lens at a price I couldn't resist, especially since there were some accessories coming with it. A Proline UV, a metal hood and a Minolta No.1 close up lens. My intention was to resell it all except the hood, but after trying the closeup lens I've changed my mind. I put it on my M 100mm Macro and tried it, and was happily surprised.

First picture is for reference, taken with the A 50mm (before selling it I'm going to do the test Hayward – remember Hayward? – never got his butt around to do. Who know's, I might end up keeping it).

Second picture is with the M 100mm Macro at closest focusing distance.

Third is with the M 100mm+the close up lens at closest distance. Anyone knows what No.1 in the name means?

Finally I put on 72 mm extension tubes. Exposure was 8 sec, so I understand the need for a flash rig when getting serious with macro!

All pictures have been pp-ed to get the best out of them, contrast improved and usm added.
Hi Kjell,

Thanks for the reference to H. . . I had quite happily managed to forget him -- now you've resurrected the memory -- aaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhh!!!

Your #1 Minolta is apparently a +2 diopter (BTW congrats on the purchase!)

Seriously, Here's a link with some info about your achromatic CU lens (that's a fancy term for a two lens element lens that's designed for much better flat field performance than the cheap single element magnifiers).

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

The list is a little outdated. You'll probably find most of these have been discontinued and command significantly higher prices than listed. I have a Nikon 4T and a Raynox 250. Look at the bottom of the page to get more info on how to calculate min focusing distance, magnification, etc.

Scott

BTW2 -- some very nice images to illustrate!!!

Last edited by snostorm; Jun 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM. Reason: added a nother BTW
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:23 PM   #4

Very cool information. Kjell - looks like that close up lens is well worth hanging on to. dwig - also thanks for the information, and Scott for the link. It does make for some interesting reading.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:48 PM   #5

Thanks dwig and Scott for the very useful information and the link.
Scott, forgetting Hayward is like forgetting a shot in the foot. You want to, but you can't. It will be nice, though, to actually see if there was any substance in a fraction of his his his, hmm, dadaist avant-garde poetry??? (Even if I think it's rather a batch/sample question than a model question.)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:56 AM   #6

kjell,
i've gotten good results from uncoated C/U lenses also.w/some PPing..
what have to watch out for is flare
robar is offline   Reply With Quote