Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:26 PM   #1

Default Will my lens fit?

Hi Guys,

Just joined up today. Perhaps you can help me with the following.
  • I have been offered a Pentax *istDL Digital SLR, Body Only , at a very cheap price.
  • I have a venerable Pentax MEF with a SMC Pentax-M Zoom 1:28 35mm~1:3.5 70mm , serial#8196479 lens.
  • It is redspot twist/click mount, with no other ID than that above.
  • It has manual f.stop selection from 2.8 to 22.
I'm sure you've all second guessed me, but I'll ask anyway

Is this lens compatible with the Digital Body?

Also have a Asahi Opt. Co. Super-Takumar 1:4/200 serial #4158658
screw mount but fitted with a red spot adapter twist/click mount, which also fits my MEF.

Not so concerned about this fitting the Digital, but if it will, l'd love to hear from you.

Best regards,
Rex
rexus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:05 PM   #2
Administrator

Rex:

You posted this in the Pentax forum setup for point and shoot models. If you scroll down a bit on the main forums page, you'll see a separate forum setup for Pentax dSLR models. We also have a Pentax Lenses forum setup for questions about lenses for use on their dSLR models. I'll move this thread there now for you, where some of our Pentax shooters can probably let you know how well those lenses will work.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:33 PM   #3

Any bayonet mount lens to fit Pentax film cameras will work with the digital SLR bodies as well, but with some limitations if they are not FA lenses. The manual f/stop means you will not have auto exposure in program auto mode, and you may need to adjust compensation for metering. Even the older, screw mount lenses can be used with an adapter.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4

Yes to the M lens, and for Takumar, with the adaptor, yes. The camera can't talk to the M lens, but it can stop it down. So what you do is mount it, set the aperture on the lens, put the camera in manual mode, then push the AE-L button so that the camera can temporarily stop down the lens and meter, setting the shutter speed. It takes longer to describe how to do it than it does to actually do it, and if you use manual lenses a lot, you'll find it becomes second nature.

The screw mount lens will work with the adaptor you have. It will be completely manual operation, though. I don't have any of these lenses so haven't tried to use them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:33 PM   #5

Can you post a picture of the camera body and the 35-70 zoom? I suspect that it is the very first autofocus body and lens Pentax produced. The AF motor is in, or rather on, the lens and not in the body

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/z...35-70f2.8.html

If so, your body and lens will probably sell at a rather high price on ebay as a collector's item. I'm not sure, though, how the lens will work on a modern digital body.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:27 AM   #6

kjell'
i think you are right.. but rex.. any lens made to fit on a pentax will work on your body.
here's a shot taken with a screw mount 30+ lens

and with the newer pentax bodies it's stabilized.. thank you pentax..

Last edited by robar; Jun 11, 2009 at 5:34 AM. Reason: oh, forgot too say ithis is a 200/3.5 vivitar
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:12 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Thanks to JimC for his directions. What a site! Is there any button-presser out there who isn't a member.
For Bilybianca: A snap and write up of the MEF is attached.

If the camera is worth something as a collectible I'm now in a quandary. Do I put the whole rig on eBay, and thus lose the lenses that I need if I buy the *istDL body?, or cannabalise the MEF and end up with a decent digital SLR?

The worst thing is,it's my wifes camera!!!

Cheers
Rex
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt MEF.txt (568 Bytes, 133 views)
rexus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus07 View Post
Hi Guys,

Just joined up today. Perhaps you can help me with the following.
  • I have been offered a Pentax *istDL Digital SLR, Body Only , at a very cheap price.
  • I have a venerable Pentax MEF with a SMC Pentax-M Zoom 1:28 35mm~1:3.5 70mm , serial#8196479 lens.
  • It is redspot twist/click mount, with no other ID than that above.
  • It has manual f.stop selection from 2.8 to 22.
I'm sure you've all second guessed me, but I'll ask anyway

Is this lens compatible with the Digital Body?

Also have a Asahi Opt. Co. Super-Takumar 1:4/200 serial #4158658
screw mount but fitted with a red spot adapter twist/click mount, which also fits my MEF.

Not so concerned about this fitting the Digital, but if it will, l'd love to hear from you.

Best regards,
Rex

Hi Rex

Welcome to the Forum.
To answer your Question: Yes All Pentax Lenses are compatible with the IstDL SLR Camera With one Issue.
Since you are talking about a manuel lense. In order for it to Work, you will have to Go into the Menus on the camera and enable the camera to use the Aperture Ring. And if i remember correctly you will only be able To Shoot in Full Manuel Mode. No Auto mode.
If you Should buy the camera you Will Need to fully read the manuel.
Hopefully Some one else With more experiance With the DL Will Come Around

Hope this Helps

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:57 PM   #9

Hi Rex!
The camera in your picture is the AF model I was talking about, but the lens isn't the one you mentioned in your first post. The lens in your picture is a very good one, that will work well with your digital body, if you follow Black Knights instructions.
I'm still curious about the lens you mentioned in the first post, I'm pretty convinced it's the AF type. If you decide to sell, sell the lens and body together to get best value from a collector. Without that lens, the body is just an outdated body in the bunch. And the lens won't do autofocus with any other body.

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; Jun 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:00 AM   #10

Doesn't sound like the AF version of the zoom lens. ChecK:http://stans-photography.info/ for info on the different versions.
I'm gradually collecting unused camera bodies because its the lenses I'm after.
Students often use the film cameras. I suggest selling the MEF with the zoom lens to a student or collector and hanging on to the Super Takumar and that 50mm F1.4 if that is yours.
You will need an adaptor for the Super Takumar and other posts above say how to use manual lenses. (edit: you already have the screw(M42) to K-mount adaptor from your post above)
Good Luck
bb2

Last edited by beachboy2; Jun 12, 2009 at 7:04 AM.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote