Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 AF Macro XR Di?

I'm still researching lenses for indoor action shots and I'm probably going to have to purchase a couple. One I'm considering is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 AF...Any opinions on this lens? I've seen mixed reviews on it, especially on a pentax. I'm leaning more toward just going with the Pentax 77mm ltd., on which I've only seen positive feedback, but it would be nice to have a choice in focal length. Comments?
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:44 PM   #2

Hi jnanpf,

I bought this lens about 5 years ago, along with my DS. Mine is exceptional -- very sharp at all apertures and FLs, and compact due to the aspherical element design (it uses a 67mm front element, while most other makes in this range use a 77mm). This is my favorite "people" lens, though I don't shoot people that often. Because of its close focusing ability, it's also a very nice flower and small subject lens, but not a real 1:1 close up macro lens.

I have heard reports that Tamron's quality control had slipped on this model -- IIRC, Kjell tried 3 different examples of this lens before giving up. I have to assume that they've addressed this, but there might still be some of these on the shelf.

I'd make sure that the vendor that you're buying from has a good return policy, but I'd recommend it highly. Most mfgs have had examples of QC glitches in the past few years, unfortunately, and you do have to really examine every lens before the return period ends.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:29 PM   #3

I have a great copy and do like the lattitude it has as far as focal range. I will be out and about in the next couple of days with it on my K100D. I will post anything I feel is worthy or interesting.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:03 PM   #4

I don't own this lens so have no idea what its quality is like, but the one reservation I would have about it is its focal length for indoor sports - what sport are you talking about. I wonder if you wouldn't be better off getting the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 or Pentax DA*50-135 for this purpose. The 77 Ltd is a brilliant lens (I have one), and think it's about as short as you'd want to go, depending on the sports and where you are taking the pictures from (basketball from the stands (go longer) or gymnastics from beside the equipment (shorter OK)?).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:42 PM   #5

As mtngal indicated you want to make sure the focal length meets your needs. I'll also add some additional items for you to think about:
1) Is 2.8 wide enough? Depending on the sport and the body you are using, 2.8 may not be enough. For example, in the HS gyms I shoot in, if I use 2.8 I need to use ISO 3200-6400 to get the shutter speeds I need.

2) focus speed. QC issues asside, the Tamron lenses are slow to focus compared to their counterparts in the Sigma lineup with an HSM motor. Not a big deal until you want to shoot action. Then the extra money for the Sigma HSM lenses becomes worth-while.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:48 PM   #6

I agree that it wouldn't fit every scenario, which is why I would probably go with a couple of lenses. I have considered the DA* 50-135, mainly because I like the size of the lens along with its excellent reviews. one of my concerns is that there will be times when I want more zoom. The other problem is the cost. I can actually get a Tamron 28-75 and a Tamron 70-200 combined, for about the same price as the DA* 50-135. Or even the 77 ltd can be obtained for about $500, so I could still have the option of getting the 70-200mm. Of course, then I have to deal with lugging the 2.5 lb 70-200 around, which may not be practical. Ideally, I'd like to find one used or find one locally that I can try on consignment for all of these. It's tough for a tightwad like me to fork over the cash without the test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I don't own this lens so have no idea what its quality is like, but the one reservation I would have about it is its focal length for indoor sports - what sport are you talking about. I wonder if you wouldn't be better off getting the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 or Pentax DA*50-135 for this purpose. The 77 Ltd is a brilliant lens (I have one), and think it's about as short as you'd want to go, depending on the sports and where you are taking the pictures from (basketball from the stands (go longer) or gymnastics from beside the equipment (shorter OK)?).
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:59 PM   #7

I've been concerned about that as well. My K10D only goes down to 1600. My K100D goes to 3200, but I haven't tried it at that ISO to see if I like the results. That's what makes the 77 ltd attractive, because of the f/1.7, but then I would always have to be courtside on the same end of the court as the action. My concern about the Sigma HSM lenses is that I don't think they work with the K7, which I've just about decided to trade up to as soon as it's available. From my understanding, a lot of the focus speed problems on the Tamron is more related to the Pentax AF system than the lense itself and the K7 is supposed to solve this problem. I've only had the K10d for a few weeks and I'm already noticing focusing issues that are kind of frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
As mtngal indicated you want to make sure the focal length meets your needs. I'll also add some additional items for you to think about:
1) Is 2.8 wide enough? Depending on the sport and the body you are using, 2.8 may not be enough. For example, in the HS gyms I shoot in, if I use 2.8 I need to use ISO 3200-6400 to get the shutter speeds I need.

2) focus speed. QC issues asside, the Tamron lenses are slow to focus compared to their counterparts in the Sigma lineup with an HSM motor. Not a big deal until you want to shoot action. Then the extra money for the Sigma HSM lenses becomes worth-while.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
but then I would always have to be courtside on the same end of the court as the action. My concern about the Sigma HSM lenses is that I don't think they work with the K7, which I've just about decided to trade up to as soon as it's available. From my understanding, a lot of the focus speed problems on the Tamron is more related to the Pentax AF system than the lense itself and the K7 is supposed to solve this problem. I've only had the K10d for a few weeks and I'm already noticing focusing issues that are kind of frustrating.
Several issues to address in your post:
Quote:
but then I would always have to be courtside on the same end of the court as the action.
You're considering a 75mm lens. You'd STILL have to be at just one end of the court The only flexibility a lens like a 24 or 28-75 lens provides is flexibility to shoot wide - from under the basket. In my experience shooting basketball - there are not enough interesting shots at the HS level to give up reach and aperture to get the wider angle.

Quote:
My concern about the Sigma HSM lenses is that I don't think they work with the K7, which I've just about decided to trade up to as soon as it's available.
You would have to find that out from Sigma. HSM lenses work on existing Pentax cameras.

Quote:
a lot of the focus speed problems on the Tamron is more related to the Pentax AF system than the lense itself and the K7 is supposed to solve this problem.
Without doubt, the current Pentax bodies have their share of focus issues. But focusing - especially for action photography - is more complicated. Regardless of system, lens based focus motors are faster/more efficient than body driven focus motors. So when you have a setup where the focus motor is in the lens, it's shared duty - the camera is the brains - it figures out HOW to focus but the motor in the lens has to react. That's where Tamron falls down. Even in Canon and Nikon mount where the in-body focus algorithms and focus point arrays are professional grade, the slow focusing motor in the Tamron lenses becomes a weak link.

So, the K-7 may fix one weak link in the focus chain. If it does, you don't want the focus motor in a tamron lens to become the new weak link.

Best possible case scenario is that the K-7 performs as well as the competition. Right now, in that competition, Tamron lenses perform slowly - because of the focus motor. When you're not shooting action it isn't as much of an issue. And when you have no frame of reference to see a fast focusing lens you might not think the Tamron is slow.

All-in-all you need both - good in-camera focus arrays and algorithms and lenses with fast focus motors. All the sharpness of the Tamron lenses is wasted if the photos aren't in focus. That's why there's a place in the market for all different types of lenses. Tamrons are great for non action where sharpness is the only thing that matters. But if you want focus performance then you have to pay the premium to step up to Sigma HSM lenses or OEM lenses with fast focus motors.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:13 PM   #9

That makes sense, at least to me it does, anyway. Thanks for all of the input. Now I have to go process it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Several issues to address in your post:

You're considering a 75mm lens. You'd STILL have to be at just one end of the court The only flexibility a lens like a 24 or 28-75 lens provides is flexibility to shoot wide - from under the basket. In my experience shooting basketball - there are not enough interesting shots at the HS level to give up reach and aperture to get the wider angle.

You would have to find that out from Sigma. HSM lenses work on existing Pentax cameras.

Without doubt, the current Pentax bodies have their share of focus issues. But focusing - especially for action photography - is more complicated. Regardless of system, lens based focus motors are faster/more efficient than body driven focus motors. So when you have a setup where the focus motor is in the lens, it's shared duty - the camera is the brains - it figures out HOW to focus but the motor in the lens has to react. That's where Tamron falls down. Even in Canon and Nikon mount where the in-body focus algorithms and focus point arrays are professional grade, the slow focusing motor in the Tamron lenses becomes a weak link.

So, the K-7 may fix one weak link in the focus chain. If it does, you don't want the focus motor in a tamron lens to become the new weak link.

Best possible case scenario is that the K-7 performs as well as the competition. Right now, in that competition, Tamron lenses perform slowly - because of the focus motor. When you're not shooting action it isn't as much of an issue. And when you have no frame of reference to see a fast focusing lens you might not think the Tamron is slow.

All-in-all you need both - good in-camera focus arrays and algorithms and lenses with fast focus motors. All the sharpness of the Tamron lenses is wasted if the photos aren't in focus. That's why there's a place in the market for all different types of lenses. Tamrons are great for non action where sharpness is the only thing that matters. But if you want focus performance then you have to pay the premium to step up to Sigma HSM lenses or OEM lenses with fast focus motors.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:09 AM   #10

I have a Sigma 28-70 F2.8 EX lens. Its my preferred studio lens for portraits but not long enough for indoor action shots I would have thought.
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote