Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:06 PM   #11

I'd have loved to get one as my first lens, but I didn't have the funds. In the meantime, while I'm saving money, I'll probably get a used manual focus zoom from Keh or Adorama for a few dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
ladyro,
i'd suggest getting the 18-250.. this will really give you an idea of what primes you want in the future and you'll be able to sell it for no loss or very little
LadyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:02 AM   #12

ebay also works
i'm upto 11 lens i use..
and i'm upto 2 AF lenses
don't forget the MF lenses
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:52 AM   #13

Manual lenses are always a good idea, but they take extra practice to get used to focusing them. I recently put on my A*300 lens (manual focus), which I haven't used in a while, on the camera and was instantly blown away by the pictures. A lot of my pictures recently have been trying to decide what was going on with my DA 55-300 (decision was to send it in for repair). Now that this lens is not in my bag, I have 2 AF lenses in it (DA 12-24 and FA 77 Ltd) and 4 manual focus (Vivitar 105 macro, A*300, 135 K-mount Takumar, M 50mm 1.4). Usually I carry the DA*50-135 instead of the old K-mount Tak, but I've been thinking that I might really be a prime person, rather than a zoom person. If they say that the 55-300 is within specs, I may just buy the DA*200 to replace it.

My LBA is still raging wildly, along with a lust for the K7. Drives me nuts as my budget can't support it at all!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:00 PM   #14

Just a comment on KEH-I have been buying used equipment for about 15 years from them-a real first class vendor-their rating system is spot on. Great to buy from-not to good to sell to-you really get hammered when you sell to them-but I guess that's how they put bread on the table.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:54 PM   #15

I'm still learning about the different types of lenses, but I know I want a good macro lens, probably a second hand manual focus macro. Other than that, I have no idea. I'm going to have to get a feel for different kinds of photography and pick lenses accordingly. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
ebay also works
i'm upto 11 lens i use..
and i'm upto 2 AF lenses
don't forget the MF lenses
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:56 PM   #16

Well, being that I don't work a job, I have plenty of time to learn to focus manual lenses. My budget is small, so I'll probably have to get some older manual focus lenses to shoot with. If I can make a little money on the side to finance lenses, that'd be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Manual lenses are always a good idea, but they take extra practice to get used to focusing them. I recently put on my A*300 lens (manual focus), which I haven't used in a while, on the camera and was instantly blown away by the pictures. A lot of my pictures recently have been trying to decide what was going on with my DA 55-300 (decision was to send it in for repair). Now that this lens is not in my bag, I have 2 AF lenses in it (DA 12-24 and FA 77 Ltd) and 4 manual focus (Vivitar 105 macro, A*300, 135 K-mount Takumar, M 50mm 1.4). Usually I carry the DA*50-135 instead of the old K-mount Tak, but I've been thinking that I might really be a prime person, rather than a zoom person. If they say that the 55-300 is within specs, I may just buy the DA*200 to replace it.

My LBA is still raging wildly, along with a lust for the K7. Drives me nuts as my budget can't support it at all!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:00 PM   #17

That's the only thing that sucks about selling your used gear. You get very little for your stuff and it turns around being sold at a handsome profit. That just rubs me the wrong way on many levels, and I'd just rather GIVE the item to some deserving, but broke, person than sell it for pennies to a camera vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Just a comment on KEH-I have been buying used equipment for about 15 years from them-a real first class vendor-their rating system is spot on. Great to buy from-not to good to sell to-you really get hammered when you sell to them-but I guess that's how they put bread on the table.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:04 PM   #18

Here are a few suggestions. First, start a list of the lenses, and why you would want to acquire it, and put a price next to it that your willing to pay. Not all the lenses are available all the time on the used market, so you need to watch and wait, even on KEH. There are periods where what you want is not being offered, and then all of a sudden a glut of that type is suddenly available within a short period of time.

Sort the list occasionally depending upon you needs or desires. Do not go over your price, just because it is taking too long. Do NOT let LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) take hold - as it can be fatal for your checking account.

There are a couple of other Pentax related boards that do accept for sale postings where you can essentially cut out the middle man, and sell your extra equipment. They are usually just text postings, and you negotiate via email...

http://www.pentaxforums.com

... also the site has a lens database that is a good reference.

This does work, it has taken me 4 years to acquire what I wanted, but in time I was successful - and my wife, the Chancellor of the Exchequer has not kill me - yet....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:14 AM   #19

at the Chancellor of the Exchequer...

As I learn more about lenses, I will start that list (knowing me, probably an Excel spreadsheet, LOL). I do think it'd be a good idea for me to have one lens for each type of photography, just to have the basics covered - macro, normal range (got it), long range, portrait, etc. - then from there, collecting lenses that I would use in the type of photography I settle on. I think the first lenses will be used/older from Keh, Adorama, eBay and the like, with the ones I buy when I know what kind of photographer I want to be (when I grow up), being bought new where possible. I'm taking the liberal arts college approach: get a taste of everything and then specialize.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Here are a few suggestions. First, start a list of the lenses, and why you would want to acquire it, and put a price next to it that your willing to pay. Not all the lenses are available all the time on the used market, so you need to watch and wait, even on KEH. There are periods where what you want is not being offered, and then all of a sudden a glut of that type is suddenly available within a short period of time.

Sort the list occasionally depending upon you needs or desires. Do not go over your price, just because it is taking too long. Do NOT let LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) take hold - as it can be fatal for your checking account.

There are a couple of other Pentax related boards that do accept for sale postings where you can essentially cut out the middle man, and sell your extra equipment. They are usually just text postings, and you negotiate via email...

http://www.pentaxforums.com

... also the site has a lens database that is a good reference.

This does work, it has taken me 4 years to acquire what I wanted, but in time I was successful - and my wife, the Chancellor of the Exchequer has not kill me - yet....
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:42 AM   #20

Default Nice Surprise!

Abe's of Maine sent me a nice surprise! As I stated below, I ordered the Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL (I) lens from them for $89 bucks, including overnight delivery. Well, when I opened the box, what did I see?

A brand spanking new Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL (II)!!!

I'm not even going to speculate as to why I got the newer lens. I've worked in inventory control before and sometimes what the computer says you have on hand is not really on hand. In this case, a substitution was able to be made to maintain goodwill. It was a very nice surprise.

THEN, when I went to Best Buy to get a SDHC card and camera case, I found a SwissGear Mythos camera case (reg. price $70) for $20.00. I am very happy.

I'll be back this evening with (hopefully) my first shots from my K10D. A little nervous though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
Thanks for all your help! I decided to get the Pentax kit lens and was able to find a NIB Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL (I) lens from Abe's of Maine for $88.85 including overnight delivery. If I'd gone back to Ritz to get the same lens, it'd have been $99 before sales tax was added. So, I'm happy.

ETA: I will try to pick up an older MF macro lens and an older AF long lens, if the latter is possible. So, Keh may indeed come in handy at some time.