Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Default Upgrade from K100d or lens ?

Have the original K100d (not the Super) along with these lenses:
Tamron 18-250
Pentax 50mm/1.4
Tamron 70-300
Pentax 18-50

Use my camera alot and have to deal with the limits of not having the latest and greatest. But I enjoy shooting and the pics I get.

All of these years, I've resisted the "latest & greatest" to avoid buying more than my level of shooting can handle. But with some money saved I am wondering if it's time to upgrade from K100d to the K20d, buy a new lens or save the cash.

Any lens suggestions are welcome. Things I like to shoot range from candids, buildings, piano keys, farmer's market to a margarita glass.

ETA: I meant to post this in the SLR forum but I'll keep it here for lens suggestions.

Last edited by cameanee; Jun 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2009, 4:02 PM   #2

I have a K100d and am considering upgrading to the K7 after the dust settles - maybe by the end of the year.

I have the 1.4 50mm, and 50 to 200mm and 18 to 55mm kit lenses. I shoot interiors and landscapes. My next lens priority will probably be a wide angle like the 12 to 24, but the new camera may come first.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:04 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I would ask what is your current kit not doing that really want it to be able to then work out if it is a lens limitation, camera limitation or photographer limitation...... also you don't mention if you have a flash as this can help a lot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:56 PM   #4

There is nothing wrong with the K100D, but the K20D would be a significant step up and your lenses would still go well with it. The K7, however, is designed to take advantage of higher grade weather proof lenses - yours will still do well on it, but the lure of the new glass could get be a problem. From your list of subject preferences, you don't need a longer lens, but a wider one would be useful - especially for buildings. So it sounds like your choice right now is between the K20D body (the K100D then would serve admirably as a second or back-up body) or a super-wide lens like the Sigma 10-20mm. Which would be more useful? How badly do you need the wider lens? Consider that a new K20D will not be available for much longer, while the lens will.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:38 PM   #5

Mark1616:
No flash and almost never use the built-in one. I guess I could "grow-up" and learn how to use a flash effectively.

Penolta:
You are right. There is nothing wrong with the k100d, just trying to choose between a new lens or body. And I can't have both.

Would a K20d enhance the performance of my current list of lenses?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6

I don't have any of the lenses on your list (unless your 50mm f1.4 is an SMC M version). However, I do have the DA*50-135 and if the DA*18-50 f2.8 is as good, you will notice a significant difference in the detail/resolution the lens captures. It was noticeable between the K10 and the K20. If your 50mm 1.4 lens is the FA, I suspect you would see some improvement there, too. I didn't see much difference between cameras with the first version of the kit lens - the lens was definitely limiting the extra resolving power of the K20.

One thing that I like about the K20 is that there's more "real estate" for cropping, if need be.

It really comes down to what you feel are limitations. Is there something specific you feel you'd really like? A feature that you can get with the K20 that the K100 may or may not have? Or are you feeling like you need something that your current lens collection doesn't give you?

The K20 is a wonderful camera, I love mine. My abilities improved significantly when I bought the K10 because I was much more likely to take control and experiment with things because many of the controls are on the camera body. I tend to use the K100 (which I still own, keeping it over the K10 when I upgraded to the K20) more as a large point and shoot, not bothering to go into the menus to change things like metering modes and focus points etc. It's been great fun to learn all these new functions, so upgrading to the K20 isn't a bad idea at all (and the price is so compelling right now).

But that's assuming you are happy with the capabilities of your lenses.

Since both cameanee and gfmucci mentioned interiors or landscape, a wide angle might be a good next purchase. I have the DA 12-24 and find it very useful, especially for certain types of landscapes and interiors.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Would a K20d enhance the performance of my current list of lenses?
It has the capability of doing that (I have both of the Tamrons), but the chief advantage is that you can do much more with it, so it depends on what your intentions are. You can grow much more as a photographer with the more advanced camera. In such cases, the photographer can be more important than the equipment - because the equipment is only as good as the person using it. If you only use it as a point and shoot in green mode, the larger file size and greater resolution will give you the ability to make larger prints with brighter colors, but that is about all; if you only take .jpgs that way to reduce and post on this forum, you might not see much difference. Once you learn to work with it and use its features to better advantage, there can be a world of difference. It can be used simply, but not to the best advantage that way, as it is a very sophisticated device - Consumer Reports just placed it as their top recommended beginner's camera, and on the bottom for advanced users; I have always felt they should stick to automobiles and toasters and leave the cameras to the photographers, and this rating proves it in spades!.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 26, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:39 AM   #8

My Photoshop skills are limited to cropping mostly and I've never moved from JPEG to RAW.

Really need to get a good book or class under my belt.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:06 PM   #9

Morning,

I would ask the same question as Mark - since that goes to the heart of the matter. The K100 is a wonderful camera....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would ask what is your current kit not doing that really want it to be able to then work out if it is a lens limitation, camera limitation or photographer limitation...... also you don't mention if you have a flash as this can help a lot.
I bought my K100 early and have used it ever since up to about 2 months ago when I sprung for the K20 (and I kept my K100). As mtngal said, the K20 is a wonderful camera and it does expand your photographic horizons. I always thought of my skills being somewhat limited. There were times that I wanted some additional control, and it was not in the K100. The bracketing - from 3 to 5 images has been something that I have enjoyed (limited in the K100). There are others items too.

That being said, in using the K20 - I have a new found appreciation for the K100. The comparison of the sensor in terms of pixel density (how closely they are crammed together) is 1.7M vs 4M pixels / mm^2 (P&S are up around 35 to 40M), so there is more potential for noise (not not nearly as much as in a P&S). The largest single instance was when I was looking at images on a newly acquired 52" HDTV. I expected the K20 to be stunning!!! and I was VERY surprised at how wonderful the K100 was - it was way beyond any expectations I had, and was close to the K20 in quality on the big screen. The pixel density was not as great, however the image quality to me was stunning.

Now, I really really really liked the size of the K100 - still do. That said, the k20 is 5oz heavier, but a real joy to use. I was expecting a large complex camera with a steep learning curve. After I figured things out, it was not nearly as complex as I had made it out to be. There are things that I am doing now that I could not do before, and my skill level has expanded correspondingly.

I was sort of waiting for the K7, but in watching the prices, I latched on to the K20 at $670 - with a 3 year Pentax warranty, without waiting to see the K7's specifications. I am not sorry, as the $1,300 price tag (I can afford it) is more than I really wanted to pay, however - with the K7 my wife would question my $anity. The K20 does offer what I am looking for, so it has worked out well. I have used the K100 for almost 4 years, and I expect that it may be another 4 before I will think of upgrading again.

Lenses - I had acquired the lenses I was interested in already, so that was not a specific hurdle to jump.

Camera or body or bank account - only a question you can answer, which brings it back to Mark's question. Is there something lacking in the K100 that you need? or is there a lens covering some range that you need or want to do something with?

hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:07 PM   #10

You all have great responses and input. I love it! =]

Definately haven't outgrown the K100. It's a great camera. If there are any limitations with anything, it's me, my skills and not having anyone to share my excitement for photos IRL. Ha!

Just interested in the K20 (while it's here) or acquiring a new lens with some money I've saved.