Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:52 AM   #1

Default What next, I Can't Decide

G'Day, I now have -

Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG
Pentax 18-55 II
Pentax M 100mm f4
Pentax M 50mm f1.7
Pentax M 28mm f2.8

Teleplus Macro MC7 2X KAX Teleconverter

I have some money to spend and I don't know what to buy ?
So far I have come up with these two, which I can both afford, the Tamron at the extreme of my budget.

Tamron SP AF70-200mm Di LD (IF) f2.8
or
Pentax
DA 55-300 f3.5

Any thoughts ?

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:13 AM   #2

Hmmm - I guess it comes down to - do you want the f2.8 and heavier weight of the Tamron, or replace your Sigma 70-300 with the Pentax. I've been really impressed with the second copy I have of the Pentax (I had to return my first one) and think it would be an upgrade for your Sigma. However, if you are looking for a faster lens then you don't gain anything with it. Would you mind lugging around the larger and heavier Tamron? I looked at one before I had heard back from Pentax about my 55-300 and it's a really nicely made lens, very solid. The zoom is nicely dampened (well, it should be at its price!). I just wasn't sure I really wanted something that big, and I really don't need the extra speed at that focal length.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:33 PM   #3

Hi Rodney,

This is a tough call. I've always been a believer in fast glass -- it gives you more options to shoot in more difficult conditions, and more options to be used with TCs. With good high ISO options in DSLRs, this becomes a bit less important. I have a Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X Pro AF II, but it's one of my least used lenses, not because it isn't a good lens. . . it's just too heavy for extended use for candids -- especially with an external flash. . . and doesn't have enough reach for birding -- but it's a great lens for the zoo and larger animals. . .

I think that the DA 55-300 would give you an upgrade in IQ over your Sigma 70-300 at the long end, and would force less potential changes in your shooting style. Another consideration would be to just put the money away and continue to save for a faster long tele prime or zoom (the DA*300/4 or the Sigma EX 100-300/4 come to mind). Add a 1.4x TC and you can extend your reach to 420/5.6 -- probably with significantly better IQ than the 70-200/2.8 with a 2x TC (400/5.6) would give.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:26 AM   #4

if you don't have a true 1:1 macro then you know what I'm suggesting
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
if you don't have a true 1:1 macro then you know what I'm suggesting
He has the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di which is true 1:1 macro lens.

As far as getting the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 or the Pentax 55-300mm it just depends on what type of photography you do. As pointed out, the Tamron has a fast constant f/2.8.

I don't have either lens but from what I've read, the Pentax 55-300mm is a great performer in terms of IQ.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:00 PM   #6

your line up looks a lot like mine. i don't have a 300zoom tho and would certainly like the 70-300.. thing is i have 3, 300mm primes.. i need to go to eekbay.. that's my suggestion.. unless you need a 1:1 macro

Last edited by robar; Jul 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote